We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
7 days in Nice

Hi,

Visiting Nice for the first time in mid September. Looking to visit Cannes and Monte Carlo and going to rent a car. Not sure whether to base myself in Nice, or in Cannes as like the look of the Intercontinental in Cannes which is much cheaper than its equivalent in Nice. Advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in Nice

I would seriously consider if you need a hire car, amit1978, as the buses and trains in the region are very efficient and cheap, and driving is slow in the coastal region and parking in the tourist areas very expensive.

I, personally, would say Nice is a better base as it is the central city of the region (if you decide on not hiring a car, it is a great hub for public transport, the airport, etc) and because I just like it more as a place. I should add I have never taken to Cannes, so I am biased!

You just have so much on offer in Nice: the Promenade and beach (pebbles), the old town, the markets, the château...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in Nice

"going to rent a car" Why? Unless you have restricted personal mobility or intend to tour the back country, a car is a total liability here.

Cannes or Nice? Unless you plan to spend a lot of time in the hotel, the more important crieria is what you want to do and see while on the Riviera. Nice is the travel hub, and central to excursions east or west, and inland.

Cannes is on the western periphery, and you will find yourself repeatedy going through Nice to get to the eastern excursions like Monaco, Eze Village, Cap Ferrat, Villefranche, Menton.

Personally I love Cannes, but to visit, not as a base.

Edited: 25 June 2011, 20:22
3. Re: 7 days in Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 02:16