We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vieux Nice on January evenings

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville
3 posts
Save Topic
Vieux Nice on January evenings

I'm planning a trip to Nice arriving January 2 and leaving January 7 and will be renting an apartment for those nights. My preference is Vieux Nice, but I'm wondering how much activity there is on the streets after dark that time of year. I'll be traveling alone (female) and am accustomed to big East Coast US cities as well as Paris, but this will be my first trip to Nice. Thanks for any insights or advice.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

this week will be very quiet

a lot of restaurants and shops will be closed

bar will close early...

week end (friday and saturday) will be a little bit better

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

The normal urban noise- trash collections etc will still start very early though , so early to bed and early to rise :))

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

That week is probably the quietest of the year as many restaurants take a holiday between New year and carnaval in Feb on the assumption that locals are recovering from the excesses of Xmas and new year.

However there will be plenty of bars and restaurants open for business

Nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

Thanks, I think :-) I'm thinking now perhaps I should reconsider not only the neighborhood I stay in but whether to go to Nice at all that time of year. It sounded from older postings on January in Nice that it was still an okay time to visit, but if lots of things are closed, perhaps not. I had hoped to visit the Institut Français at Villefranche where I'd like to study French one day, but it's closed that week also. I'm spending the week from Christmas to New Year's in Paris and thought a few days in the (hopefully) sunshine would be a nice add-on since I didn't have time for the Riviera whlie in Provence a couple of years ago, but maybe it would be wiser to delay that until some other time.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

Many restaurants and shops take holidays in August as well

January is still a good time - the big wheel is up beside Place massena. all the museums are open, shops are open , christmas decorations , exhibitions, sports activities and concerts still go on

It can be beautifully sunny and ideal for walks along the promenade and elsewhere. Sitting on the beach or in a sheltered spot in the sun can even be pretty warm ,

You can also go sking or up to the mountains for a tramp about in the snow. - 1 euro local bus each way or 8euros express bus for round trip

Nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

That sounds more promising! Thanks very much. As far as I can tell both the Jardin Serre de la Madone in Menton and the Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild in Villefranche are open that week. Would you have any idea whether, weather permitting, the gardens are worth the journey at that time of year? I am particularly interested in garden design so the lack of flowers in that season isn't a big issue. Thanks again

7. Re: Vieux Nice on January evenings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 17:18