We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
switzerland
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Hello experts

We are three people(2adults nd a 4year old)travelling to nice in the mid of october for 5 days.we would like to visit monaco and cannes as well.

Can nice be done in 2 days and is it better to travel using public transport or book the tours for day trips?

thanks in advance..

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Public transport is excellent. The train is the fastest way to get to Cannes and Monaco. People who live in Nice will draw you attention to intermittent problems with trains, strikes etc but as a tourist I have never had a major problem. I find trains are more comfortable when travelling with children than buses - but that is just my personal opinion. In terms of Nice being done in 2 days.. it depends on what you are interested in ...museums, water activities, architecture, gastronomy, history etc..

switzerland
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

thank you for the reply..

we want to spend more time in the beach,then cours saleya,place massena and old town..

so can we also do villefranche and monaco on the same day?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

The trains are great when its not a year of militant action [and this year has been ok -touch wood it continues]

There are occasional delays but usually nothing major

The main thing which catches people out is going by the printed timetable and not checking for alterations due to extensive line work throughout 2011 and will be continuing afterwards.

I heard of people complaining about canceled trains the other day when the trains they were referring to have been canceled for weeks and alterations noted on huge posters in the stations [and alterations timetable available online] and the info available from ticket desks or info kiosks if they had checked

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Selkie, are the alterations very visible online? For example is there a flashing notice beside the link for the 'regular' timetable?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

There is no flashing notice-about scheduled work going on all year

On the TER Paca site you click on Etat du trafic. to find alterations.for whatever reason

They do put strike notices on the front page in a large red bar

Also if you search for your itinerary it will only find ones which are available

i don't know any travel site here or elsewhere that supplies flashing notices as people are expected to be adult enough to confirm their own travel arrangements

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Maybe I am expecting too much

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

there are also apps and widgets for up to date info on the local trains via phone./internet

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

and also for national trains

mobile.voyages-sncf.com/…

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

We found the public train system ( and buses) to be wonderful. It was so easy to navigate. You can do Vllefranche-sur mer ( about a 15 minute train ride) and Monaco (about a 25 minute train ride from Nice and 10-15 minutes further along from Villefranche sur-mer) in one day. We adored Villefranche sur-mer: just beautiful- a real paradise and felt very down to earth. We didn't have the same feeling about Monaco- it was exciting and pretty, but there was a lot of concrete that I wasn't expecting.

if you can fit it into your plans, try to see Eze village- an amazing medieval village high up with spectacular views. The stores and paths are carved right out of the rocks. It was wonderful and a definite highlight on our vacation.

switzerland
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Thank you so much mickeymouse.really appreciate your advice..but i just have a question.since we will be travelling with a 4 yr old,what would be the ideal bus/train connections we should take to visit eze,villefranche,and monaco from nice if we want to do it in one day?we want to visit on a saturday.and is it better to split this tour into two days or can be done in a day?

thanks in advance..

switzerland
Level Contributor
49 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help on our riviera itinerary please..

Another question, what type of ticket we should purchase for this tour.