We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hire car company

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which hire car company

Hi

We will be arriving at Nice airport in September (Terminal 2). Not sure which car hire company/brooker to use. Currently looking at Auto Europe, Carrentals, Expedia and Europcar. Would be grateful to receive any comments/advice.

Many thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,360 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hire car company

Note that of all the companies you listed, only Europcar is an actual car rental company. The other are brokers or third party intermediaries. They shouldn't be compared directly with each other

Auto Europe has consistently received good reviews but you can also end up with Europcar through Auto Europe. Europcar used to get some poor Nice reviews due to the long queues and poor service a while ago although I haven't noticed these threads lately.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hire car company

It is often mentioned here on T/A that Europcar often has huge lineups at their airport location when a flight comes in. I'd phone http://www.Kemwel.com (they are a sister company of AutoEurope from whom many people report rates are lower) and if they can arrange something at the airport have them avoid using Europcar.

Alternatively you could take the bus into the city and get off at the exit closest to Ave Verdun at the Promenade des Anglais. Right beside the Mercure hotel on Ave Gustave V you'll find offices for Europcar, Sixt, Hertz and Budget. Right across the park is the Avis office. The bus will take 15 minutes max and cost about 4 euros IIRC. You also avoid the 40 euro airport surcharge that way.

Edited: 26 July 2011, 13:54
Calstock, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hire car company

I've always used Hertz, and have used their Nice offices, purely a personal choice. I feel safer with a larger company in case anything goes wrong and I have always found them helpful. With another major company I have had bad experiences over things like a tiny scratch (not my fault honest), that would have been considered fair wear and tear by Hertz. Cheaper companies can cost you money by having their only offices miles outside of the city centre or away from the airport. Whomever you pick, check if you get a reduction by membership of groups like the AA*.

* (Automobile Association, I don't think Alcoholics Anonymous earns you brownie points).

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,204 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hire car company

Try sixt.com; the company is a large European rental agency that we've used and been happy with.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hire car company

Sammyfloyd has hit the nail on the head.

1. Europcar is a rental agency

2. Autoeurope ( and Expedia to some extent) is a rental broker

3. Carrentals( and Expedia to some extent) is a cost comparison website

Either #2 or# 3 could lead you to 1 (but probably at a lower price than 1 would provide independently).

#2 or #3 could also lead you to Hertz or Avis or Sixt or National or any of the other international car rental agencies

Rental prices change continuously and the only way to get the best price for your particular situation on specific dates is to put in some effort and do a trawl of the cost comparison websites, the brokers and the car rental agencies themselves including any discount codes or membership entitlements you may have.

New York
Level Contributor
496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hire car company

AVIS the best..no gimmicks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hire car company

"AVIS the best..no gimmicks"

Really? What about the 'pay for the gas now and bring it back empty' ploy? I consider that a gimmick and a scam. Avis has tried that one on me.

8. Re: Which hire car company

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:17