We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Westminster

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
32 posts
384 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Westminster

Hello

I am thinking of having a long weekend in Nice and the Hotel Westminster looks lovely. Has anyone got any feedback on it? Also, how expensive is it for a beer? or a glass of wine? Also how far is it from the airport? and one last thing, is there any such as thing as "doing" Nice on a budget??

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Westminster

I have never stayed there but the location is excellent. Some day I might splash out and stay there.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
52 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Westminster

we stayed there two years ago and it looks a lot better on the web than it does in person. It's certainly faded, but not horrible. The staff were very friendly, the rooms were big and clean, but it was a bit shabby. It is in a wonderful spot right in the midst of everything. Drinks were as expensive as any hotel in Nice (I think 8 euro for a glass of wine), but there are plenty of regular bars right near the hotel. If I got a good deal I would stay there again, but it wouldn't be my first choice at top dollar.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Westminster

You can definitely do Nice on a budget and without skimping.

Buy croissants , pain au chocolat etc from boulangeries , some do breakfast deals if they have cafe tables attached

there are plenty of places to buy cheap lunch deals - salad/sandwich , cake and drink , or a formule -main course or main and starter or dessert and glass of wine or menus 2 or 3 courses for a fixed price

Some places even do fixed price menus in the evening

there are loads of places doing wood fired pizza to eat in ot take away, loads of burger, kebab etc shops, places to buy crepes, roasted chickens etc.

Don't forget about the possibility of picnics on the beach or in parks

, soft drinks are expensive in cafes and restaurants -its better to buy these cheaply from supermarkets by large bottle or multi pack of cans

Transport is cheap - buses are one euro except for express buses to airport or mountains

Edited: 27 July 2011, 17:12
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Westminster

Do you want the facilities of a large hotel? When I stay in Nice I pay 80 euro or so as I only need a decent room. Almost anywhere in Nice you will be surrounded by bakeries, coffee shops and hundreds of restaurants so eating in the hotel is pointless and almost always poor value. You can certainly do it on a budget but, with the exception of transport, everything has rocketed in price in recent years, so that apart from hotels, most things are on a par with London. I don't understand the mechanism but suspect that this is to help pay for the massive improvements in the central area. Nice is probably the most improved city in Europe. Years since I stayed in the Westminister but it was a dump then!

Rockledge, Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Westminster

We stayed at the WestMinister 3 years ago in July 2008. We loved it! It was in a fabulous location- walking distance to the Old Town, across from the beach on the Promenade de Anglais, about a ten minute walk to the train station which you can use to go on amazing day trips like Antibbes, Cannes, Monaco, Eze ( to a bus stop up to the Eze village), Villefranche sur-mer, etc, etc. We had a glorious complimentary breakfast each morning sitting on the outside patio area of the Westminster overlooking the ocean.- what a great way to start a day The staff was extremely nice and helpful. There was some things that needed a bit of fixing- like a mirror on the staircase, but to us, it was wonderful and pretty. Oh- a couple of more things, the bathroom was a bit different with the clear shower stall in the bedroom part of the room- so there can't be any shyness. Also, one other thing that bothered me was that we were across from the beach, but if you wanted to go onto the hotel's portion of the beach, you had to pay a fee. We got around that by just going a bit down onto the free public portion of the beach. I would definitely stay here again. Now again this was 3 years ago. it was aging a bit, but we thought it was lovely.

Calstock, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Westminster

Yes, handy for the airport, taxi, or bus along the Promenade des Anglais.

I prefer even more central hotels, but always stroll down to the Westminster for a drink in the bar.

A bottle of 1664 €5, a glass of dry white also €5.

7. Re: Hotel Westminster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Nice