We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Venice

Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nice to Venice

Hello travelers,

Could you tell me what you think would be the best way to reach Venice from Nice ?

I am looking at different possibilities; the train to Florence and the next day going to Venice or flying to Venice from Nice.

Do you think that it is safe to buy from ebookers, Expedia, etc .

They have good prices but are they reliable ?

Thank you,

Masaryk

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Venice

If you intend to go by train, you will not get a better price than by booking direct with the train operator. For travel beyond Ventimiglia, use www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

I can't see any cheap or direct flights between Nice and Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Venice

Thank you for the quick reply !

Masaryk

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to Venice

There are occasional direct flights from Nice to Venice by www.flybaboo.com

But they are not particularly cheap, and on many days a change of plane is required in Geneva.

On trains, to the price given on the trenitalia website for Ventimiglia-Venice, you must add €6.70 for Nice-Ventimiglia if bought in Nice. Trenitalia will give you advance purchase reductions if you select a train and then click 'Continue', but these reduced tickets are worthless if you miss your train in Ventimiglia.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
184 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to Venice

We did this trip in 2009 we caught the train from Venice which required a change in Milan and a wait of around 1/2 hour from there we went to Genoa and stayed overnight then caught a direct train from Genoa to Nice the next day. We only stayed in Genoa as we don't like arriving anywhere after dark, so if this is not a problem for you then it would be possible to do the trip in one day.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to Venice

But note that there are no longer any direct trains from Genoa to Nice. You now always have to change trains at Ventimiglia.

Mentioned in this post
Genoa
Genoa
Italian Riviera, Italy
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Folsom, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice to Venice

My wife and I just went from Nice to Venice this past Monday.

We ended up taking the train and traveled from Nice to Ventimiglia... Ventimiglia to Milan... and finally Milan to Venice. It was 3 segments... but actually was fairly easy. We left in the morning around 7am and got to Venice around 3:30pm.

We booked our train tickets from Ventimiglia to Venice on the Trenitaila website (assigned seats) a few months in advance... and bought our Nice to Ventimiglia tickets at the station the day of our departure (not assigned seats).

Overall... it was an easy way to go. The only rush we had was a 15 minute layover in Milan to find our next train. But if we would have missed it... there was another one in about 2 hours.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Ottawa
Level Contributor
288 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice to Venice

Thank you all ! I appreciate your updates.

To drkoz23: Could you tell me from which station you took the train in Nice?

As you bought your tickets from Ventimiglia in advance, what would have happened in case of cancellation ?

Was it difficult to find your train in Milan ?

I guess that's my concern, to miss the train. I hope you enjoyed your time in Venice !

Thank you,

Masaryk

Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Folsom, California
Level Contributor
274 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice to Venice

We left Nice from the Ville (city) station. Our hotel was along the Promenade and this made the Nice Ville station the most logical for us. The majority of the trains do stop at all of the locations along the route (and there are plenty of trains).

In terms of "cancellation"... are you referring to a strike? I actually tried not to worry about this... and didn't have any alternative plans set up. I'm guessing I would have rented a car one-way from Nice to Venice and drive.

Although we only had 15 minutes in Milan... there are several schedule "boards" that list the Destination... Time of Departure... and Train Platform. It is a fairly big train station... but we easily found our train. We had to traverse about 10 platforms to get our train. Took about 5 to 10 minutes... and our train to Venice also left about 15 minutes late.

The reason we left early in the morning is to make sure that if we got to Milan a bit late... we could still get a train to Venice. There were still 2 more after the one we took (departing around 1pm).

Enjoy your vacation. Nice and Venice are both BEAUTIFUL cities!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice to Venice

We're looking also at going from nice to Venice by train and have just read your message - can you confirm that you only had to change trains once in Milan only? Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,972 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice to Venice

You always have to change from a French train to an Italian one at Ventimiglia. Between Ventimiglia and Venice, you always have to change at Milan and for some journeys also in Genoa. For train times and connections Ventimiglia to Venice, see www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Mentioned in this post
Ventimiglia
Ventimiglia
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Genoa
Genoa