We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

I'm considering renting an apartment in Vieux Nice (28 rue Pairolière) in late December and am wondering how noisy this location could be. The owner says there will not be as many people out in the market in December, and with the windows closed at night I will not hear anything. I am a light sleeper and would like to enjoy my vacation in Nice without being sleep deprived from noise... I have to make up my mind soon about the apartment. So if anyone can comment, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks!

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

If I were a light sleeper I wouldn't be renting in the OldTown even though in December it can be relatively quiet

there is always the potential for a late night gathering

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

I could tolerate some level of noise using earplugs. I'm wondering if this part of Vieux Nice where the apartment is located could be considered less noisy than others because it's farther up. The neighborhood looks so charming and quaint that I'd tolerate some noise to stay there, as long as it's not a constant boombox through out the night.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

rue pairoliere is one of the main street in the old town with a lot of small shops...

the old town is a very nice area but I could not stay there

the day is busy with a lot of tourists or local people because the old town have most pub, restaurant...and other small shops who enjoyed all people

the night, always a little bit noisy (but less in december) because there are pub in this area and streets are narrow (the noise go up quickly)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

The big question for you: are the windows double glazed? If so, you shouldn't have a noise problem when the windows are closed.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

I don't think most have it because all building are very old and not a lot of people changed the system of glass

ask the owner

but your are right, will be more quiet in winter than in summer because you will let windows closed

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

It won't matter how noisy the area is if you carry some ear plugs. I've done so for several years ever since a "very quiet street" wasn't because a puppy howled all night. Just hit your nearest drug store and pick up a package of a dozen for your trip. You'll be glad you have them.

South Bend, IN USA
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

I have stayed in three different apartments in the old town over the past several years. One was very noisy, (on rue Centrale) and two have been very quiet. One quiet one was on Rue Barillerie - this is the Fougasse apartment rented by Nice Pebbles. We now stay in their Francois apartment, which is on the fifth floor of a walkup, so even though the street below, rue St Francois de Parle is quite busy, it is very quiet 5 floors above. As another reader has mentioned, rue Pairolière is a busy pedestrian street. I would not want to stay in that location.

I really like staying in the old town and there are many apartments that will be quiet, in the right location.

Burbank, CA
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

I appreciate every one's comments. I am forewarned here of Rue Pairoliere's liveliness.

I talked to the owner who reassured me that the noise shouldn't be that bad in December. I am hoping that earplugs will filter out annoying sounds. At least, I am not expecting dead silence. As long as the building doesn't vibrate all night from live music (which I experienced in a Rome apartment), I am hopeful that earplugs will help.

The Vieux Nice neighborhood looks so quaint and charming that I'd hate to not have the opportunity to stay there.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

The secret noise weapon for living in Vieux Nice is to have a fan by the window, even if it points at the wall... the mild humming will act as a curtain of white noise and filter out the noise spikes. Works like a charm.

Allison

Best of Nice Blog

Nice
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: how noisy is this part of Vieux Nice

Hi there. Rue Pairoliere is a pedestrian road. Around 28 there are no bars, just shops, so sleeping shouldn't be a problem at all. x