We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train des Pignes

London
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train des Pignes

Have the track works been completed on the Train des Pignes line or is part of the route still by replacement bus?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train des Pignes

always bus at the moment for a part of this trip

trainprovence.com/pages/en/76/train-touristi…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train des Pignes

Hi

I am just going to post here.. I am hoping someone can help me. I want to do the train up the mountains is it possible to do it in 1 day? I will be in nice/Monaco on 17-20 January. I couldn't find the timetable on the website? If anyone has any tips it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train des Pignes

Yes, it is possible to go all the way to Digne and back, if you take an early train from Nice. (Or you can go part-way and back.)

Here is the link to the schedule:

trainprovence.com/templates/…202011.pdf

The schedule is online at the link in post #1; there's a link to the schedule where it says "consulter les horaires" in red.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train des Pignes

Thanks so much.. And just to clarify this is the train that goes around and through the mountains to the top and it's really beautiful? Also at this time of year will it be snowing in the area where the train goes

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train des Pignes

The train des pignes goes along the river valleys with mountains towering above,

The train des merveilles goes through a mountain in a corkscrew tunnel and the rails are on the shoulders of mountains looking down on the valley.

They go to different places /have different routes

At the moment there is less snow than usual as the weather has been too dry and warm but the routes are still impressive.

Only the high ski resorts and peaks have snow -it looks more like a dusting of snow rather than a heavy layer and the lower ski resorts have snow canons to create snow for the ski runs -it still looks beautiful as the lighter snow against stark rock outlines interesting rock formations

Remember that it gets dark early at the moment and that the angle of the sun and being in the shadow of mountains will potentially bring this time forward. Also the temperature will plummet when the sun sinks so make sure you are warmly dressed -I recommend fleeces/ gloves /hat/walking boots

It is also easy to get to the mountains by bus from Nice - either ski express buses [which need to be booked in advance] or local buses serving the same towns/villages as the express ski buses.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 12:21
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train des Pignes

Is train des merveilles close to nice? I am staying in Monaco but would like to spend a day doing this..

Thanks

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train des Pignes

The train de merveilles route starts in Nice and ends in Tende -going via some interesting places eg breil sur roya, sospel, la brigue, Tende

Nice is just 22 mins away from Monaco by train , so it would be an easy day trip

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train des Pignes

Ok I will research

Thanks

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train des Pignes

this is the current timetable

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH05-Nice-…

but always check for alterations before travel here

www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/paca/Fr/Default.aspx

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train des Pignes

Thanks for that.

It is hard to decide which train to do.. Especially at this time of year. Is the isabella pass still available in January?