We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Me and my best friend will be visiting Nice for 3-4 days in early May. Entering Nice after a train ride from Avignon or Arles (we will be spending 3-4 days in Provence). We were planning to set up base in Nice and then explore the places around it. We like places that are scenic and picturesque...and were thoroughly confused about which places to visit in Nice out of the following choices: Monaco, Antibes, Saint-Paul de Vence, Cannes and Villefranche sur Mer. We will be able to commute only by trains (not driving around).

Suggestions please?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Eze is a must! Its an amazing village on top of a hill. It is filled will little shopes and scrummy places to eat. You will probably need to go there by coach or bus but its def worth it :)

Monaco is good to wonder round but i would say Antibes is better. Walk around the Antibes harbour and have a look at the big boats! it really is an whole other world. Monanco is very expensive!!!! and not as pretty.

Its worth walking the Monaco tunnel:)

Nice its self has lots of offer! The sightseeing bus tour is a great way to explore and lets you hop on and off all over the place.

The shops are amazing, the old town is great and in the evenings there entertainers everywhere. Lovely atmosphere.

Make the most of the tram. Its really easy to use and is cheap:)

We loved nice and will be going back again this year:)

If you are planning on going to the beach in nice I suggest talking a couple of beach mats with you. Its an pebble beach and if you buy them out there it will cost alot more.

Lots of people walk to the beach and watch the sunset before dinner.

Noticing that you are planning on doing alot by train. The ticket machines in Nice train station are mult language so you can simply choose english :)

Enjoy

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Worth using the buses as well, they are very cheap (€1 per person per journey with Ligne Azur).

I would recommend St-Paul, but early in the morning if possible as it gets very busy later in the day, you could also consider carrying on up in to the mountains to Vence, which boasts the glorious 'Matisse Chapel' (but do check it is open on the day you're going, it can be elusive!)

Antibes is very nice, too, but crowded a lot of the time. For me personally, neither Monaco or Cannes did much for me but of the two Monaco was more interesting and worth seeing 'the once', I suppose! Have you thought about seeing Eze as well?

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Thanks for your suggestions. Very useful. Now, I would need your help in planning out the three days that we have in Nice.

From your responses, it appears that we must visit Eze and Vence...a few questions:

1. Is that doable in a day each? Or how should one plan it?

2. What is the recommended mode of transport? Train or bus, and how much time to travel

3. Are there local sightseeing tours there, or how does one explore the places?

4. If we also want to visit Antibes, would that mean a day there too?

5. Hotel recommendations for Nice please? We would like a place that is centrally located so that we can find buses and trains easily (also not expensive...under Eur 100 for sure)

6. After our three days in Nice, we were planning to visit Annecy....and we plan to fly out from Geneva....so what do you think is a better proposition:

a. Travel from Nice to Annecy and spend the day there and then go to Geneva

b. Travel from Nice to Geneva, set up base and then go to Annecy for a day trip?

Thanks once again for all your help. Things are much clearer now...

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

To effectively use your time in Nice could I suggest an effective itinerary which has worked for others....

Day 1. Bus to Eze Village, visit and get back on bus to proceed to Monaco. Train back to Nice dropping off at Villefranche ( most beautiful place on the Riviera) for a meal on the seafront.

Day 2. Bus to St Paul de Vence , visit and then on to Vence, returing later to Nice.

Day 3.Train to Cannes for morning visit visit and return on train to Antibes for aftenoon and evening.

Ed

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Thanks Ed, this sounds good. We can set our base in Nice and then move around from there. Is there any site in English with bus/train schedules? Should I do the booking online in advance? Any cost saving tips?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

For buses see:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

(which can be in English, click the Union Jack flag at the top right)

And for info on the trains try Anglo Info for pointers:

…angloinfo.com/information/1/trains.asp

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,579 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Extracting from Riotstar's link here are the local trian times....but roughly trains on the Nice/Cannes/Monaco line are every half hour.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH04-Mande…

You don't need to book in advance you can buy a ticket in the station ticket office or from a machine in each station. Fares are Nice Monaco 3,50 euro each way Nice Cannes 6,30 euro.

Bus fares are easy - 1 euro everywhere ( except for some express buses) - pay the driver as you get on

Ed

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

Thanks everyone....

Any hotel recommendations in Nice? Budget 75-100 Euros

london
Level Contributor
7 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

my wife and I will be visiting Nice over Easter. We are landing on Good Friday noon and leaving on Easter Monday evening. I am planning to follow the suggestion of Ed but we might not be able to complete all that were on his list.

Saturday - explore Nice old town and sea front

We then have Sunday to do either of these:

Day 2. Bus to St Paul de Vence , visit and then on to Vence, returing later to Nice.

Day 3.Train to Cannes for morning visit visit and return on train to Antibes for aftenoon and evening.

Which one should we do? Any suggestions?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 days in Nice...what are the best places to visit

We went to the Matisse museum and really enjoyed it.

Another day took the bus to Eze and hiked down from the village at the top to the sea below. Then we went on to Monaco and walked around and had lunch. Visited the oceanographic museum.

Another day we visited the beach, walked the promenade, walked around the port and up castle hill.

Eze was arguably the most beautiful place I have ever visited on this planet (and I've been a LOT of places). Don't miss it - but make sure it's on a clear sunny day. Actually I'm sure it's still probably beautiful on an overcast day :-)

Edited: 19 January 2012, 19:41
Get answers to your questions about Nice