We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week in Nice in September?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
1 week in Nice in September?

We are looking at using our timeshare property for a week in Nice. Is there enough to do around there to justify staying for a week? We have never been to that area before.

Any information would be welcome!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from US$103.20*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from US$131.80*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

I can't help you with the timeshare, but there's plenty to do in the region. The Cote d'Azur is a string of resorts - each with it's own personality - that are connected by a ril system that runs along the coast. Buses will take you inland to the mountain villages.

After my last trip, I made this post about how I get around and find my way from the bus stops and train stations to the parts of the towns that I most want to visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

You will have more than enough to do to keep you occupied for a week!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

There are masses of things to do/see in Nice and surrounding areas.

You won't see a fraction of what is available in one week but you can see some highlights

What are you interested in?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Thank you for your replies!

We like walking and exploring towns and villages, beaches, sightseeing etc. We thought about renting a car and driving up and down the coast as well.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Parking and traffic along the coast can be brutal. Trains are the fastest way to travel along the coast, and for scenery, buses are good but slooow! The resorts pretty much run into each other, especially to the east, so you don't miss a whole lot if you get off a train in a town and explore an area from there. From what I've read (but haven't done this) the bus between to Monte Carlo passes through some lovely scenery and might be one route to consider. SelkieNice will know more about this.

We rented a car on our first trip, but once we learned how to use the region's public transportation, never again. The car was a waste of money and our state of mind! The only one of my daytrips that might be easier by car is the St. Paul, Vence and Trouretes route, one of my favorite sequences. It's tricky by bus because the midday buses to and from Tourrettes limited routes and only run during the school year. It's doable, but you really have to time yourself. Instead of a bus and if you aren't driving, you could consider taking a bus to Vence and a taxi to Tourettes. I saw taxis at both ends of this trip, but if there isn't one available, here a link to a topic where SelkieNice, in her always helpful way, provided us with taxi phone numbers:

tripadvisor.com.my/…26457397

Another advantage to not driving is that someone else is getting you where you are going and you can enjoy wine with your lunch! The DUI level in France is .05, .03 points lower than in most of the US. I don't know that I would chance one glass of wine with a meal, and I'd hate not to do that. ;-)

Edited: 16 January 2012, 16:52
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Thanks! Good information.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Absolutely; I have been on many holidays to the area and still find things to see and do! More likely that a week won't be long enough once you get there :-)

France
Level Contributor
685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Personally, I would never get tired of Nice and a week there will pass very quickly. September's a good time because the kids are back in school and the Parisiens have gone north again. It's still - hopefully - great weather but a lot less congested than August. Go and enjoy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Thanks ZebFrance!

I'm looking forward to our upcoming and trip! Someplace we haven't been to before. I was hoping it would be a little less crowded during September. Thanks again for your post.

British Isles
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

there is enough to do in nice for a fortnight as we go every year.

The bus service is excellent and for €1 you could go to menton.

We walk a lot ,so try the coastal walk to Villefrance where you can get a good lunch and bus back.

I believe there many interesting museums and art galleries but we havent had time to visit them yet.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week in Nice in September?

Is it worth a trip to St. Tropez? I've always wanted to go there.