We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice train day trips

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McHenry, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
nice train day trips

hello, I am going to be in Nice for a week. I'm wondering if there is a train route, for a scenic day ride, into the French Alps.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice train day trips

Hi there

I will bump this for you.

Merran

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice train day trips

This may be what you are looking for, but I haven't taken this route and am not sure if this is what you are describing. Note that this line originates in Nice CP, a small rail station in Nice. I'm not really up on this, so hopefully you'll get more information in later posts.

http://www.trainprovence.com/

Click "The course" from the links on the left side of the page and you will see a map of the route.

At least it will give you another "bump" and the experts will see this when they get up in the morning!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: nice train day trips

Try the Train des Merveilles leaving Nice Ville (main sation) at 9.05 am and going at far into the Alps as Tende ( 1500 metres) , a one and a half hour trip - there is a commentary for tourists in French and English ( altho I believe this doesnt happen every day.) Passing fantastic villages like Saorge on the way as well as negotiating triple loops in tunnels and over viaducts.

The other train trip into the Mountains is as troggs says the Train des Pignes which proceeds along the valley of the Var river. Tourists usually go as far as the village of Entreveux. This is a separate line and railway company to the above.

Ed

Edited: 06 February 2012, 08:34
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice train day trips

Both the train des merveilles and train des pignes train routes are very scenic and easily do-able as day trips

The train des pignes route [ chemin de fer de provence company ] has the benefit of having mountains and dramatic rock formations towering above the tracks which run along the river valley

Entrevaux is the usual stopping place -very pretty with vertigo inducing views from the top of the citadel rock spike

The train des merveilles route follows the salt road used by muleteers which used to be the land route from nice to Italy [the coastal roads are a pretty recent development] . The route is a major feat of engineering and gives views from the shoulders of mountains down into valleys

People often visit Breil sur roya, Sospel, la Brigue etc along the way or take train all the way to Tende . There are plenty of opportunities for walking, adventures sports etc also museum des merveilles [pre-history]

It is also possible to visit other parts of the mountains by bus direct from Nice. [Local bus or express ski/ramblers buses]

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice train day trips

I found this link to Train des Merveilles:

tendemerveilles.com/english/trains-touristiq…

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice train day trips

if you take the 9.05 train des merveilles with guide[weekends may and October or daily from june to 30th September and want to listen to the commentary [in french but with paraphrased english on demand after making yourself known to the guide and taking seats in the appropriate carriages]

this is the most recent brochure giving details of the towns and villages en route. it is still available at stations but check the train times given as there have been timetable changes since it was printed

www.royabevera.com/index.php…

nb the trains on this route [and train des pignesroute[ are not just for tourists-they are used for daily travel by locals to and from work/school etc etc

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,508 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nice train day trips

Some fantastic walks on that Train des Merveilles brochure, selkie. This may get people off the beach ......

On troggs link too one thing to note is that while it normally costs around 24 euro aller / retour ( return) from Nice to Tende you can take advantage of the Pass Isabelle go-anywhere ticket available from June to Septemebr to do the same thing for only 12 euro.

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nice train day trips

hi Ed - its a good leaflet and it does change from year to year with different suggestions

another thing to remember is the train des neiges casterino option in winter - 13 euros for round trip including bus from st dalmas de tende to casterino and back again and a free hot chocolate -great for walsk/snowshoeing ./.xcountry skiing etc

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

mumbai
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nice train day trips

Out of The train des merveilles And train Des pignes which is The More scenic route or destination if there is Time For only one

mumbai
Level Contributor
166 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nice train day trips

Out of The train des merveilles And train Des pignes which is The More scenic route or destination if there is Time For only one