We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
39 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

My wife and I will be taking the train from Nice to Paris on June 1st. I found 1st class tickets for $204 for both of us from the web site that has cheaper rates. My question is, can I pick what seats I want to be in or does the system pick it for me? We wanted to sit on the coastal side. Seems like when I tried to do a dummy purchase, it assigned seats. Was interested in upper face to face, but Im afraid that seating mybe on just one side of the train, and not sure what side that would be.

Thanks for the help.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.40*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.50*
US$109.40
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.50*
US$109.40
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.30*
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,267 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

Which site has cheaper rates? It should be http://www.tgv-europe.com using the uk as your country of residence. You sometimes get a choice of which part of the train you can reserve in, but not exact seats. Getting on in Nice, the train will probably be fairly empty for the first part of the ride. You could take window seats on the sea side then ask the people who have reserved them if they don't mind sitting in the seats that you originally reserved. I've never had anyone refuse. The seating is in pairs on one side and single seats on the other.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

I'll guess you mean the French railway site, voyages-sncf.com. That is the best, and its prices are in line with what you told us. As far as I know - and based on our upcoming spring trip - the seats are assigned by the system...though perhaps changes can be made when you go to the station in Nice. Bon voyage!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

As American travelers, we encounter some quirks when we try to view the French train sites from out US based computers. This link will help you avoid those pitfalls, and there are links here that will help you sort through your seating assignments:

tripadvisor.com/…38278801

I find the TGV-Europe website the easiest for me to use from the US. My post #15 will help you sort through the various lines included on this site. TGV's are the fast trains in France, but the TGV-Europe website offers a pretty comprehensive list of train lines other than its own, including cross border routes (if that might fit into another part of your trip).

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

Sorry - I apologize. Mental lapse. Either site will give you the option of seat selection and at-home printing, plus the prices are the same. And of course the site tradeform advised is in English, mine in French. C'est la vie....But I will offer that at the moment - and if you're keen on an early start - both are showing the 7:30am train at 56E for 1st class travel.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

Both sites work. It's just that when you ask for a translation on SNCF from a US based computer, Rail Europe kicks in. Most contributors from France and other countries recommend the SNCF site, but they aren't redirected as we are in the US. If you can stay on the SNCF site in French, you'll be good to go...or, if you're like me and need a translation, go to the TGV site.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
39 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

Went ahead and made my reservations. It was through the voyages-sncf.com site. There was not a big diff. in first class & second so we opted for 1st. We chose the upper deck with 2 seats facing each other. Hopefully that was a good choice. The regular TGV web site wanted $100 more all together. We paid $204.

Thank you all!

Oshawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

Concerning the train system in France - we took the TGV from Arles to Nice in Oct./2011. We, too bought 1st class tickets as the price was not too much more. At the station, we asked two workers where to board the train. They both said the same thing - "Wait here, where the yellow marker is, and the door will be in the same position". we did just that, and when the train arrived, the door was exactly where they said it would be! However, the SNCF worker(a woman) who was "organizing the passengers" while they were boarding told us that that door would not be opening! When we asked why(in French), she only replied, "Deux minutes". We boarded, then found out that we had to climb the stairs(with our luggage), walk back to the 1st class car, then go down the stairs to our seats! It was repeated, in reverse, when we got to Nice. The ride was fantastic and smooth, but why would they not open the door to 1st class? We contacted the company who sold us the tickets, but they said SNCF was the company to talk to. When we did, SNCF referred us back to our company! First class does not guarantee first class service, even if you speak French. Hope you have a great trip.though!

Edited: 09 March 2012, 00:37
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

logbite- it sounds like the door was faulty - these things happen

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,389 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

First class does not include any service at all, it is more comfortable seating, three across instead of four, and power outlets. No extra service is promised or implied in any way .

As selkieNice said,, most likely a defective door,, it can happen, and luggage is always your responsibilty to lug on most europeon trains systems. ,, thats why its called luggage,, lol

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taking train from Nice to Paris, need advice.

at Nice you can specially organise a porter service to collect bags [for a spearate fee] and take them to waiting car etc but even then, i have a feeling the porter isn't supposed to go on to the train to collect the bags