We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

My travel guide tells me that 2 trains/hour make the 20 minute journey from Monaco to Nice. It doesn't tell me what time the trains stop running at night. There seem to be some wonderful concerts and fireworks displays in Monaco in the evening during the summer but I would like to avoid being stranded, unable to return to my Nice hotel without paying the exorbitant taxi fare. Can someone tell me what time the trains stop running from Monaco to Nice at night? Does anyone know an English link to the train that makes this journey? Do buses run late at night from Monaco to Nice?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

See www.tgv-europe.com/en

Reject any attempts by the site to redirect you to RailEurope.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

That is much more user friendly than Rail Europe. Thank you.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

On your late night bus question you can get Noctambus 100 on nights of Thurs Fri and Sat from Monaco to Nice - runs several times from midnight to 4 am.......

Timetable here - right at the bottom ( Nice Menton bus) of the page click for pdf

cg06.fr/fr/…

Ed

Edited: 08 April 2012, 03:49
Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

Wow! Thank you! That's very valuable info I wonder what's available earlier in the week.

The TGV site shows the last bus running at 23 h 18 min. If that's a TGV schedule, I'm thinking one would need to reserve. I'm aiming for something we can hop on to, whenever we're ready to leave Monaco.

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

There are no TGV trains running between Nice and Monaco, so your 23.18 train is a local TER type train, which doesn't require a reservation. Ordinary ticket will do.

Sarnia, Canada
Level Contributor
485 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

That's very good news! Thank you. I saw TER on the schedule shown on the TGV website but didin't know what it meant. This makes Nice a very good place for a home base and much cheaper than Monaco!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

I have been a regular user of the TER trains for around 10 years and, although they are much improved recently, still don't trust them to get me anywhere that I really need to get to at a particular time. Only two weeks ago I arrived at the airport to find the trains on strike yet again and, also unwilling to pay the taxi fare, got the bus to Nice and then walked to Villefranche. Monaco to Nice is a very long walk!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

I use the trains regularly here - they are pretty reliable time wise

Strikes are pretty infrequent , and are advertised well in advance and will be noted on the front page of the TER PACA website [link below] with a big red rectangle stretching across the page.

www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/paca/Fr/Default.aspx

Edited: 08 April 2012, 21:22
9. Re: Last Night Train from Monaco to Nice???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:42