We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 day trip itinerary w stop in Geneva

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
117 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
7 day trip itinerary w stop in Geneva

Hi....

I am planning a last minute trip to the southern part of France starting next Thursday. I will be flying in from London on the morning of Thursday 3 May and returning to London on the evening of 10 May..and I need help with an itinerary.

The difficulty in planning an itinerary is that I have friends in Geneva, so I want to spend 2 days with them (which days can be flexible). I will be renting a car (I like to drive) and I am traveling solo. The perfect choice would be to spend the week exploring Burgundy...however, I've spent 10 days there on a previous trip to France, so I'd prefer not to repeat myself.

I have not yet booked my flight on the continent, so I can fly into Geneva, Nice, Lyon or Marseille. I am torn between:

1. Flying into Lyon then Macon>Bresse>Geneva for the weekend..then on Sunday night, head to Nice/Monaco...Drive back to Lyon to catch flight to London. Seems like a lot of driving.

2. Fly direct into Geneva..spend Thursday/Friday in Geneva then pick up a rental car and head to Cote d'Azur or Provence for remainder of trip. Drop off car in Marseille or Nice and fly back to London.

3. Fly into Marseille or Nice...hang out for 5 days then drive/train to Geneva and fly back to the UK from there.

Challenge is...one way car rentals from Auto Europe are 2x the price. Grr. And I hate to spend 1/2 my day on a train from Geneva getting to the coast or to Provence.

I prefer good food (local, simple) museums, art galleries, historical sites, wineries and back roads to shopping and 'cruise ship' crowds. Prefer simple, clean and local small hotels rather than big chains. If it makes a difference (and although it's rusty), I do speak French.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Jen

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 day trip itinerary w stop in Geneva

I think 2 or 3 would work best.

Personally I would take the train between Geneva and Nice or Marseille and stay near Nice using the excellent local trains and buses rather than driving yourself and splash out on a taxi if needed with the money saved.

A car would be more use and needed in deep Provence and round the Marseille area

However if you enjoy driving and want to have the flexibility of a hire car, have you checked the rental suppliers websites direct rather than brokers like Auto Europe ?

Not all suppliers charge huge one way drop off fees within the same country.Be sure to put the rental location in Geneva as Geneva airport French side (not Swiss side and you can walk between the two) to avoid a cross border drop off fee. Also if a Saturday night is included prices are usually lower

Avis for example has a small car for 5 days fromGeneva airport (French) to Nice Airport for 257 GBP from 5th May which is not significantly more than the cost of hiring the same car returning it to Geneva

http://www.avis.co.uk/default.aspx

2. Re: 7 day trip itinerary w stop in Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:16