We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

Hello, helpful locals! :-) These forums are great! I'm posting this question here because the Cap Ferrat forum doesn't appear to be very active.

Rick Steves advises to "beg, borrow, or steal" ;-) a way to be in Cap Ferrat around sunset and have dinner there - at Restaurant de la Plage de Passable. As I'm not likely to ever be there again, I'd like to do that. Even though Rick is very good with practical info, he didn't mention anything about the options for returning to Nice later and I know the buses don't run late enough. Of course, a taxi is an obvious choice and I don't mind paying for it, but I just read on the Eze Village forum that there are a total of 2 (two) taxis in the village, so I'm afraid the situation may be the same in Cap Ferrat.

I remember reading somewhere that there is a train station in Beaulieu-sur-Mer. Based on Rick's explanation and the way I see it on the map, the walk from Plage de Passable to this train station shouldn't take more than 30 to 45 minutes. I don't plan to stay there too late - perhaps till 10 or 11 p.m. at the latest. I'd imagine a place as ritzy as Cap Ferrat must be safe enough, but I'm a woman traveling solo, so I was wondering if this road/path? is well lighted and if there are people walking it at this time of the evening.

I'd really appreciate it if someone lets me know if it's easy to get a taxi in the evening in Cap Ferrat and/or if walking to the train station in Beaulieu-sur-Mer is a feasible plan. Any other suggestions are welcome, too. As much as I'd like to spend the evening there, I don't really want to be stranded... There are only a few hotels and they may very well be booked or too expensive.

I can't wait to see these beautiful places! :-)

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

first of all what time of year /date are you staying here?

btw- This is the first time i've heard anyone recommending that restaurant -the few people who have mentioned it to me have made jokes about it being ''passable '''

Paloma beach restaurant on the other side of cap ferrat gets much better reviews and restaurants on that side of the peninsula have the advantage of the cliffs turning pink as the sun sets

there a few more taxis in cap ferrat than Eze - i don't know precisely how many but i often see 3 or 4 sitting at the rank and there is a rank telephone number

04 93 76 86 00 to phone if no taxis are waiting

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

Thank you very much for the quick response, SelkieNice. :-)

I'll be there in mid-June. I was planning to go to Cap Ferrat on Sunday in order to avoid the crowds in St. Paul de Vence on weekends, but I may switch them and go to Cap Ferrat on Monday, as I don't plan to stay late in the St. Paul area.

Rick Steves was recommending this restaurant more because of the views. I don't care that much about food myself and ambience is more important to me. So you think the restaurants on Paloma beach offer better views... That's something to be considered. I guess I'll play it by ear as I plan to spend the whole day in this area and I'll likely see both places before dinner time.

It's good to know there are more taxis there. Thanks for the phone number. Is the walk to the train station doable, though? I wouldn't mind walking actually, if it's safe.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

where are you actually based when here?

Edited: 05 May 2012, 20:05
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

My hotel is in Nice - Albert 1er. I picked it because it's very convenient for the buses. It's a little less convenient for the trains, but I'll take trains when they make more sense.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

If was not caring about the food at a restaurant, and rather than pay inflated crap beach restaurant prices, i would just sit on the beach by the marina at caop ferrat for free and walk to Beaulieu along promenade maurice rouvier [pedestrian route][ as the sun sets pink on the cliffs well before dark - personally i am not huge fan of black skies with artificial lights so i wouldn't be desperate to stay that long. I would walk it myself at this time of day

walking back from passable beach, Villefranche station is probably closer than Beaulieu but the issue of concern is getting run over by cars driving too fast and not expecting pedestrians -not any sort of criminal activity

absolutely do not follow mr steve comemnts about sunset on colline de chateau in Nice or you will be locked in ,like many tourists every year

Edited: 05 May 2012, 20:25
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

Chances are, being tired after a long day, I won't even be able to do it, but I was asking just in case... I'll probably have dinner somewhere in Cap Ferrat, but I'll see where... Since I'm alone, I don't really care about romantic atmosphere per se, but I do enjoy nice views and sunsets. I know what you're talking about not expecting pedestrians... As hardly anybody walks around here, we're always surprised by the odd pedestrian.

Ha-ha, yeah, Rick does talk about early morning and sunset being the best time to visit the Chateau in Nice, but he does stress on the fact it closes early. So people get locked-in, huh? Funny!;-) Curiosity does kill the cat occasionally. I've gotten stuck in sand in Mexico when I've tried to go just a biiiiit farther (there are some dirt roads that have some solid surface under the sand up to a point and then you can't quite tell when they turn into sand only).;-)

Thanks a lot, Selkie Nice! :-) I may have some other questions.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

You could always have only a drink at that restaurant, since it's also a lounge bar... Why don't you ask someone at the restaurant to call you a taxi? I'm sure they won't mind doing it, especially being there all by yourself.

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

Thanks, InRiviera. Yeah, I guess I can ask them. I can even ask them in my rudimentary French I've been studying for the last 2 months (man, it's tough)!;-) They'll probably want to switch to English.;-) I do make sure to use international words, though, just as I did here. We really call taxis cabs more often.

I just got a bit scared when I read there were only 2 cabs in Eze (I was really surprised since many people seem to be interested in the couple of fancy restaurants there) and I thought the case might be the same in Cap Ferrat, as it's also a small place.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

>>>absolutely do not follow mr steve comemnts about sunset on colline de chateau in Nice <<<

Some of us 'locals' do keep a well thumbed copy of Rick Steve's guides so we can avoid the restaurant recommendations on the basis that they will be packed out by people in Hawaiian shirts shouting for the English menu. My edition is very old however - his works are very hard to get in Europe - possibly for good reason - or maybe it is shelved under 'fiction'!!

Ed

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting back to Nice from Cap Ferrat in the evening

Are these restaurants anywhere close to the coastal walk from the Beaulieu train station? Could we follow this path and find a restaurant?