We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best location for easy transport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
408 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
best location for easy transport

we are arriving by train , but have yet to book a hotel...we are still deciding which area will be easiest for touring by public transport to monaco , along the coast, and into the hill villages....noy sure if we can afford the promenade, is city or old town better for cheap eats etc....not into late night clubs , just a good meal and walk to most things/

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best location for easy transport

You will hear more from the experts in the morning, but to get you started, visit the Nice hotel reviews section to see what appeals to you. The check a location, get on Google "Walking (not Driving) Directions" and enter a hotel's address as your starting point and "Gare Nice Ville" as your destination. If your route takes you along the length of the old Town and/or Ave. Jean Medecin, your walk can be shortened by taking a tram for this distance.

The public transit system in the Cote d'Azur is efficient and inexpensive, and from Nice, there are direct bus routes to St. Paul de Vence (400) and Eze (82). Bus fares are one Euro/person and trains vary by your destination and pass. There is a pass, the Carte Isabel, the allows you all day passage wherever and in in which ever direction you might travel as long as yuo are traveling between the first of June and the end of September:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

Basically, trains connect the resorts and buses take you inland to such places as St. Paul de Vence and Eae. Here is how I find my way from the train stations and bus stops to the parts of the towns I want to visit. I travel from Cannes, but I've included comments on how you can do this Nice.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

There are regional buses that travel between Nice and Cannes (200) and Nice and Monte Carlo (100 and another, maybe, 110?). These tend to move slower than the trains, but on short jaunts, they're fine. I use the bus between Cannes and Antibes, but for other coastal travel, I'm on a train. The bus between Nice and Monte Carlo has been mentioned often by the local experts as being scenic, and see what you might hear from them in the morning.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best location for easy transport

There are reasonably priced, OK quality * * * hotels between the Nice-Ville railway station and the Promenade, some 0 ... 200 metres from the Jean Medicin street on which the tramway line goes passing Place Massena. The described location would give you a good access to virtually anything you need to reach either on foot or using the well working but often crowded public transportation system.

Have a look at the map view of TA in order to pick a good position. I think you can pretty well trust the reviews here at TA as long as you read enough of them on each hotel you consider.

www.nicetourisme.com is a good source of general info

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best location for easy transport

I would suggest looking for hotels between the rail station and the Prom too- close to bd Victor Hugo

4. Re: best location for easy transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:41