We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Nice or???

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Nice or???

I am coming to France in August spending 6 nights in Paris and then flying into Nice with my wife. My original plan was to spend all four nights in Nice but now I am wondering, do I spend two nights in Cannes and then two nights in Nice. The reason for my debate is we really want to spend some quality time at the beach and if the beaches in Nice are rocky, maybe we should save those last two days for sightseeing in NIce. I am curious of peoples opinions. Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

If spending time on a sandy beach is a priority, then stay at Cannes. Nice is easily visited from there as it is only 40 minutes away by public transport - bus or train. The beach at Nice is not sandy but covered in smooth stones called galettes. Some of the private areas of the beach import sand to cover their area during the summer season.

Enjoy!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

The beach at Nice is not rocky, it is pebbled. If you want a sandy beach Cannes is more your type of place, otherwise I would say stay in Nice for the public transport and everything else this lovely city has to offer.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

There is no reason to change hotels during that visit. I would say Nice is the place for a (coastal) city break, with the great walk along the Promenade, while the more compact Cannes has a sandy beach and everything you need for a town&beach combination.

There are nice hotels in both towns. As the railway station is very conveniently located in Cannes, it might not be a bad idea to stay there.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

Nice is lovely. Cannes is not. But Cannes does have sandy beaches.

Not sure I would go to Cannes in August for "quality" beach time. It will be heaving. No doubt the local experts will be able to recommend some good beach spots if you let them know what you are looking for.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

Thanks for all the tips everyone. So I think I am going to spend the four days in Nice. Now the question is where is the best beach spot in Nice. Public or private.

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

Chiefrocka28,

I just came back from a 9 day trip (4 in Nice, and 5 in St. Tropez). The "rocky" beaches of Nice are not that bad. I was concerned too before we went, but we had no problems at all. The rocks are smooth, not sharp, and only occasionally was it uncomfortable. The water was beautiful.

When we went to the beach, we went to a beach club...I think it was Neptune. It's across from Hotel Negresco, but there are many others. You get lounge chairs, umbrella, etc. If you don't have that, and you have to lie on the rocks....that will get uncomfortable if you are out all day.

We also visited Villefranche, a small town several miles north of Nice...they had a small beach, which was sand. No beach club as I recall though.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

Until two or three years ago there was an unofficial beach club attached to an equally unofficial concrete cafe. I was delighted when both were removed by the mayor. I am fairly sure that the mayor's office then invited bids to set up something official but nothing has appeared so far.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

Beach clubs etc now have to be completely dismantled in the off season so concrete ones up and down the coast have disappeared since the law went into effect and appeals ran out.

9. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 July 2012, 17:35
10. Re: 4 days in Nice or???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 July 2012, 21:05