We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Paris to Nice?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Paris to Nice?

I'm heading to Europe with my boyfriend in June next year and was thinking about driving through France, is that a good way to get around in France or is the train a better option? We will have our full suitcases with us..

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,878 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

There are some great places to visit driving to the South of France, www.franceguide.com

Check car rental www.autoeurope.com.au

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Edited: 09 July 2012, 07:01
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

It somewhat depends on the length of your trip. If you want to maximize your time in the French Riviera, including taking day trips from Nice then I recommend the TGV "fast" train. This takes only about 5.5 hours and is well priced if purchased in advance. The views are also great.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 07:11
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

The roads in France are on the whole pretty good so a trip from Paris to the south will be nice.

It can be done as a direct hurtle down the autoroute in a day or in a few days taking the main roads and stopping off to explore the region.

Personally I would head off to Burgundy staying the night at one of the small towns in the region. Then head off to Lyon and spend a day looking around the city. I might then be tempted to take the autoroute down the Rhone valley in the direction of Avignon for a night and then pick a route to Nice via Aix en Provence and the coastal roads.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

In the Cote d'Azur, a car can be more of a hassle than it's worth. The region has an excellent train and bus network, and parking and traffic in the French Riviera can be brutal...and pricey. Unless you really want to make stops between Paris and Nice, I would suggest you either fly (1 1/2 hours + pre-flight arrival) or take the train. If you book in advance, there are good, low cost fares between Paris and Nice. One option you might also want to consider is the late afternoon IDTGV train that wouldn't mean a day out of your itinerary for travel. If you don't mind arriving in Nice in the evening, IDTGV leaves Paris late in the afternoon, meaning you would have another day there. Besides, the IDTGV's look like fun to me. :-)

Level Contributor
7,505 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

If your aim is just to get from Paris to Nice the train is better. If you want to visit places en route taking your time, then the car is better. Remember it is around 950 km to drive - at least 9 1/2 hours plus stops, and if you take the motorway (autoroute) just the toll is 72.50 EUR plus the fuel (probably around 100 EUR). Not taking the motorway will add about 6 hours to your drive time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,187 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

The whole point of driving is you should have at least several days to explore the various cities, towns and sights along the way. Having a car also allows you to visit more remote attractions that might otherwise take you hours to get to. Flexibility is another big bonus. Again, if you just want to go from Paris to Nice say in two days, then it's a waste of money and time to rent a car. Stick to train in that case.

With a car, just put your luggage in the back. Most likely, you will get a hatchback. Just pull the cover over your suitcases so they are not visible.

7. Re: Driving from Paris to Nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 06:15