We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to French Alps to Paris

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to French Alps to Paris

Hi friends, I'm visiting France in Aug12 and was wondering which is the simplest/ fastest way to do the French alps from Nice and then zoom back to Paris. Driving is not an option as we have a baby and prefer either train or air.

Nice-Chamonix-Paris was of course my first pref but realise after a lot of browsing that map distances are misleading and closest is Geneve, but I dont wish to do a swiss visa etc just for this. Grenoble is also perhaps an option.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to French Alps to Paris

you can try by train but it's longer

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to French Alps to Paris

Thanks and which place in the alps would you suggest to be most convenient from nice and for then heading back to paris ? Im absolutely ok with train esp if there's a tgv for the route, but dont seem to find any train connections on the net. Someone posted of a route from nice to chamonix through Lyon. Is that the best way ?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to French Alps to Paris

lyon - grenoble - chamonix... are in the same area

did you check on the website : voyagesncf.com ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,955 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice to French Alps to Paris

You do not need another visa to enter Switzerland. It is a party to the Schengen Treaty and there are no border controls.

You can get train information in English at www.tgv-europe.com/en but refuse any offers of being transferred to RailEurope. Play around with this site and explore the possibilities.

A problem is that there is no train line heading north from Nice, because there are mountains in the way. You have to go west to the Rhone valley before you can head north, which makes for an indirect journey.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice to French Alps to Paris

Many thanks Nick, and you solved my problem by the Swiss clarification. So, my conclusion is that fastest, simplest and probably cheapest is:

Nice to Geneve by air (easy jet flies multiple times a day)

Geneve to Chamoix by road (just around an hour)

Chamonix to Paris by rail (there's an overnight intercity)

Thanks everyone for the help.

6. Re: Nice to French Alps to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 05:17