We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible family holiday...

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
glasgow, scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Possible family holiday...

Hi everyone....looking for some help!!

I am seriously considering a holiday to Nice around the beginning of Sept. We are a couple in our mid 30's travelling with a 2yr old.

I am unsure which type of accommodation would suit us best... I have been looking at apartments with Riviera Pebbles but limited availability due to dates being so soon. The apartments that are avail seem to be in the Gambetta area, is this area an ok base?

Alternatively I am wondering if anyone knows of any hotels that have separate lounge & bedroom? (so we can put the wee one to bed without us having to go to!)? The rooms at hotels I've looked at seem to be either twin or double rooms.

My next question is : would a stay of 10/11 nights be too long? We've never been to the area before.

I am also wondering if it's kiddie friendly? Any swing parks or playgrounds? Is the beach gently shelving with shallow water?

My last question is regards to eating out...is it very expensive, say in comparison to Spanish holiday resorts?

As a couple we have travelled all over the world and like to stay in 4/5star accommodation and have nice meals etc whenever possible we still like these standards even with a child so any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible family holiday...

Apartment rental or a hotel suite would probably suit your family best.

Or possibly an aparthotel

Pricewise,it depends where you choose to eat.

Spanish restaurants are generally less expensive .

Expect to pay around 25 euros upwards for a reasonable set 3 course evening meal on the Riviera.

10 or 11 nights is certainly not too long, there is plenty to do depending on your interests.

However, I would suggest that you think about basing yourselves in another town rather than Nice if you want a kiddie friendly beach coupled with good amenities.

The tide in Nice is strong and the beach is large pebbles.

The train line along the coast links all the towns for sightseeing.

Cannes or Antibes beaches are far more child friendly than those in Nice.

Cannes has swings,playgrounds, plentiful good quality accommodation in the centre and excellent restaurant choices too. It has very easily accessible central transport links and is pushchair friendly

Antibes transport connections are less central and accommodation choice in the centre is more limited, but is worth considering too

Hope this helps

glasgow, scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible family holiday...

Thanks for the reply

Hadn't considered Cannes, was thinking Nice purely because of it's proximity to the airport.

Do you know how long it would take from Nice Airport to Cannes? How much would a taxi cost?

Riviera Pebbles have got back to me with 2 apartments in Nice....the Adelia and the Sonnet both in the Gambetta area, is this area nice?

I'll need to research a bit more into Cannes!

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible family holiday...

Nice Airport to Cannes is about 40 minutes by road.

There are direct airport coaches to the centre of Cannes or you can take a train from Nice St Augustin station which is walking distance from the airport.

An airport taxi will cost in excess of 70 Euros plus extras for luggage, time of day etc.

You can also pre-book shuttles with a number of companies, for around 55 GBP.

Gambetta/Musiciens isn't particularly close to the old town in Nice ( 25 mins walk or so), but it's residential and generally a nice neighbourhood,.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,573 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible family holiday...

Beach at Nice not suitable for two year olds at all. Rocks( calling it pebbly is quite an understatement ) and water is hard to get in and out of for adults let alone a tot.. and no, it is not gently shelving in most places( it is a long beach coast so perhaps somewhere it is , but our experience was a drop about 5 feet out)

Frankly skip Nice , and consider Cannes for sandy beach.

glasgow, scotland
Level Contributor
61 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible family holiday...

Thanks for the feedback!

We've decided to stay in an apartment in Avenue des Fleurs in Nice. We're going to use it as a base & will visit places like Cannes, Antibes, St Tropez, Monaco, Monte Carlo etc

Might also take a trip over to Italy!

We'll definitely try the sandy beaches in Cannes instead of Nice.

Also heard about Phoenix Park and a day trip to Marineland and the Aqua Park beside it so I think we'll have lots to do!!hope to do a boat trip as well!!!

On countdown mode now :o)

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible family holiday...

IMO Nice is by some distance the most interesting place on the coast, with Antibes the runner up. Villefranche is 10 minutes by bus from Nice and has a great beach for children.

Dumbarton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible family holiday...

Chateau colline and the phoenix floral parc are a must. We are just back from Nice where we spent the week with a seven year old boy and he was as happy as larry with the two activities above. Lots of nice neighbourhood parks also on rue rivoli etc that are worth popping in to. Enjoy Nice we love it

8. Re: Possible family holiday...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 03:17