We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riviera

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
French Riviera

My husband and I plan to travel to the area in mid September - I would like to stay in one place and rent a car or use public transportation to see the areas around there - Do you have any recommendations on where to stay and the hotels ( at least 4 star) and areas to visit. Thanks for your help.

Holly

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riviera

it's funny when people resquest hotels according how many stars ;-)

stars mean nothing !! (I'm working in a hotel)

stars mean size of the lobby and room, number of plugs or lights... but never the quality and cleaness, never the view; never about a nice staff....

you will find many lovely 3 stars hotels better and cheaper than 4 stars ! (I'm working in a 4 star)

4 stars go from 100 to 15 000 euros per night in the french riviera, how would you like to have the same quality with a so huge difference of rates ??

somes 4 stars are so disguting, tired, old... but some are also very nice

I always advise to check equipment (and extra charge or not), location, comments on booking.com for instance (unfortunately there are several false comments on TA)....

eventually the view (but if you are out all the day, I don't see the interest to pay 100 euros more per night for the view if you are just in the room to sleep, save the money and spend it outside)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riviera

Have you chosen a resort along the coast? They are all very different in personality and their coastlines. Do you want sandy beach, pool, oceanfront dining, "village-y," historic, city conveniences, museums, shopping, etc.? There islots to see within an easy distance from all of the resorts from Cannes to Monte Carlo, and besides choosing a base, we can help you more if we know about your interests.

When considering a hotel, do a Google Maps "Walking Directions" from a hotel's address to the Gare (and name of the resort). This will give you an idea about a hotel's location in relation to the transportation hubs. "Nice" and Cannes," especially, can mean lots of things and the same can apply to the smaller resorts...including inclines in Villefranche and Monte Carlo. Nice is the largest resort, and for hotel locations there, keep in mind that there is an excellent local bus system and a tram that runs along the old town and Ave. Jean Medicin. These options can shorten your walking time to the train station.

I would discourage you from renting a car or at least, rent one only for a few days when you might want to go to places that are difficult to reach on public transportation. Parking and traffic can be brutal in the Cote d'Azur and the network of trains and buses is excellent.

Edited: 04 August 2012, 22:53
Charlotte, North...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riviera

Thanks - you have given me alot to think about

Mumbai (Bombay...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: French Riviera

Hi , my husband and I are planning to spend 5 nites in and around Nice between evening of 31st august and 4th sept. We thought of spending 2 days in Monaco ( Eze and monte carlo) and return to Nice only on 3rd ..

However , we have a restricted budget of 100 - 120euros per nite , we are unable to to find any hotels in monte carlo or monaco.

Can you reccommend any hotels / preferably french country houses, around monaco from where we could travel to monte carlo and eze by way of buses or may be rent a car.

Please help.

Anshu

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Riviera

Between Nice and Monaco = Monaco, Eze, ...

it's the more expensive area

in Monaco, the cheapest will be may be the Novotel

in Eze, try the residence Eza Vista but I think until the high of season (october), there will be more expensive than 100 euros nd may be already fully booked

(you have also in Eze some standard hotel from 0 to 2 stars hotels, about 60/90 euros, check on Eze Tourist website, there is a listing)

you can try also at the seaside Villefranche sur mer, Beaulieu sur mer....

Welcome to the French Riviera where everything is expensive for everybody ;-) it's a luxe to live or visit here but the place is beautiful

6. Re: French Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:17