We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

Our airfare is booked. Fly into Nice Sept 3rd and fly out 10 days later. Our flight arrives early and leaves late. This will be my third time in Europe and I will be traveling with my girlfriend. We are in our mid 20's and adventurous, we like to relax but usually we like to go as many places as we can. We were in Milan/Como/Switz/Greece in April. Never made it to the Italian Riviera and we would like to see it, possibly as far as the Cinque Terre. But I realize France has much to offer!

So my question is should we head to the Italian Riviera for 3-4 nights and then come back towards the French Riviera? Maybe stay in Santa Margherita, Camogli, or Remo?

Or should we explore the French countryside? Liore Valley? Bordeaux? Dordogne? How much of France could we get in 10 days by train? And if not by train would car be a good idea?

We haven't booked our stays yet and I know we are pushing it (girlfriend just found out she could get off) . Part of me doesn't want to stay in Nice and part of me does, but I want to figure the rest of my trip first! What re some good quiet towns in the hills above Nice?

Thanks for any help!

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

I don't mean all of those places, just an idea of how much of France we could see in 10 days at a couple days at each place. Loire Valley is too far n/m

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

There is much to see in Nice and the surroundings.

Forget about Bordeaux, Dordogne and Loire Valley, too far away.

Cinque Terre is possible but if you haven't been to Nice yet, you can see San Remo in Italy but also Villefranche-sur-Mer, Eze-Village, Cannes, Antibes, etc.

I suggest you get a guidebook and then come back with more precise questions.

You have plenty in the area to fill up 10 days.

Nice itself can fill more than one day.

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

I have been doing a lot of reading since booking my flight and I am torn on where to stay in the Riviera. Menton and Villefranche seem quiet but in a good location. Nice seems ideal but I really enjoy small towns with good access for day trips. We could even stay in 2 different places for different experiences. I understand The Riviera is fun vacation destination, what would be the closest town to get a traditional feel of France?

Finding a good place to stay this late seems tough, its either 5 star or 1 star. There are some options but its slim. I am tempted to use Nice pebbles to book a villa or apartment. They seem pretty reliable?

Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

You need to figure out what you want and then ask precise questions asn mentioned above. You are unlikely to find a Villa in Nice as people live in apartments there. An apartment gives you the most flexibility. www.go-nice.com is a very reliable company.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

If you are the adventuruous type then make sure that you travel to the Gorges du Verdon to go swimming, kayaking and walking around the hilltop villages. Highlight of our trip by far :) you'll need a full day for it but its a lovely drive and a nice break from the coast.

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

We have a game plan. We get in at 10am. Going straight to Italian Riviera for 3 nights and then spending a week in the French Riviera. So now my questions-

To rent a car or not? Will this be a hassle or a convenience? I understand it will still be fairly crowded. But rates are inexpensive.

And I still don't know where to stay. I'm leaning towards half my stay in Nice and some where else. I'm looking for 2 different experiences. Can be very flexible for any suggestions. I've found places in Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Eze, Vence, Menton, Villefranche. Eze seems like I need a car but looks gorgeous. Which would be the 2 most different experiences. If we do stay in Nice, which part of Nice is the most quiet?

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

Also how is Mont Boron? Need a car?

Beausoleil?

Found nice apartments in both.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

No car for Mont Boron, either you walk up or take the bus.

For Beausoleil train is the way to go from either, Nice, Villefranche or Menton. Be aware that some trains don't stop in Beausoleil when you look at the schedules.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

I would rent an apartment in Nice (Pebbles has quality places) and then every other or third day do a day trip. We did this a few times and then decided to settle in Nice.

You can go east to beach at Villefranche sur Mer, Monte Carlo and/ or venture into Italy. Alassio is a charming Ligurian town within 2 hours. We have taken day trips into the hills to Grasse, St Paul de Vence, and Eze. And to the west - Antibes, Cannes and the beach resort Juan les Pins. All without a car.

Longport, New Jersey
Level Contributor
63 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights booked! 10 days to fill and need help!

Pebbles is slim pickens for an apartment in Nice. Can someone recommend another trustful site similar? I appreciate the feedback and hope I get my stay booked soon!