We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in December

tipperary
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Weather in December

Hi, Was thinking of going to Nice early December . Can anybody tell me what the weather would be like.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in December

Its usually mild and can often be sunny wityh blue skies - and even warm between 11am and 3pm if sitting in the direct sun with no wind.

However you will need layers as it gets very chilly at night or out of the direct sun and you should have waterproofs with you

The xmas market is listed as starting on the 1st december this year-and there will be a big wheel, out door skating and special events on

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in December

It can also be wetter than Tipperary.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in December

In our December visits we had, first, spring-like weather and ate outdoors every day. The next time it was rainy and cold. The most recent weather was cool and clear and then rain and cold, all in 10 days. You just never know.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in December

Bob, hard to imagine anywhere wetter than Ireland.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in December

That would be Scotland. The wettest I have ever been is waiting on a street for my husband to pick me up during a downpour. The rain went right through my sturdy raincoat, and I was absolutely soaked.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in December

Catullus,

If you have ever lived on the West coast of Ireland (as I have in the past) you would see that it would give Scotland a good run for its money.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in December

<<If you have ever lived on the West coast of Ireland (as I have in the past) you would see that it would give Scotland a good run for its money>>.

.....and don't forget Cumbria ( the Lake District, England ) and Snowdonia (Wales) lol

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in December

Brought up in the west of Northern Ireland I am a fairly hardy individual and all my life have walked and cycled on days when most people would stay in doors. The winter before last I attempted to go for a walk from our flat in Villefranche one day but turned back within 50 yards as it was almost impossible to make progress against the weight of water coming down the street. I have never experienced anything similar in the British isles. In SE England what the locals imagine to be a really wet day would be considered one of the drier ones in the Celtic fringe. The vast majority of winter days in and around Nice are dry and pleasantly warm but when it rains it really can throw it down, resulting in an annual rainfall higher than London (but still only around half as much as New York).

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in December

One thing I learned from my drenching was why our Scottish friends drank a lot of whiskey.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in December

As in Irish culture, it is very easy to contrive excuses for alcohol assumption.