We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice or Barcelona

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Nice or Barcelona

My fiance and I are traveling to both Spain and France at the end of May beginning of June for our Honeymoon. We would like to start our trip on a beach, relaxing with a cocktail. We can't decide between Nice or Barcelona. We would like to be able to rent umbrellas and chairs and have food and drink service. Suggestions!?!?!?!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice or Barcelona

It could be a good idea to read a little more about the two destinations if you are visiting them with the sole purpose of wanting to relax on a beach :)

Both cities have beach clubs where you can hire a lounger and have a bar service.

The beach in Nice is stones, that in Barcelona sand.

I wouldn't describe either city as particularly relaxing , but Nice has the advantage of being very close with ease of access to other smaller more relaxing places. Barcelona does not have the same proximity , but there are other smaller relaxing places nearby

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice or Barcelona

Cannes is going to give you the sandy beach and plenty of ocean view restaurants. For a slower pace, you might like Villefranche or Antibes, especially Cap d'Antibes. VF also has a sandy beach, but I don't know about the beach rentals. The experts will have to help you with that. Antibes also has a sandy beach, and I would look for a hotel in the direction of the adjoining Cap d'Antibes. I know you can get umbrellas and chairs in Cannes, and there are restaurants on the beach level as well as along Le Croisette, the old harbor and up the pedestrian street to Cannes' old town. For what you are describing, I would choose one of the resorts along the Cote d'Azur, and they are all connected. Barcelona is fun (great tapas!), but I see it as more "city."

leyland, lancashire
Level Contributor
155 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice or Barcelona

I would consider Nice the more relaxing and romantic of the two .

glasgow, scotland
Level Contributor
62 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice or Barcelona

I've visited Barcelona a few years ago & I am currently on holiday in Nice as I type this....I'd definitely opt for Nice, the beach and beach clubs are ideal. The promenade stretches for miles & is amazing with lovely hotels, restaurants etc then just behind is the port area and bustling old town as well as the many squares. Everything is fairly easy to get to within the city. It doesn't have the same big city feel as Barca and things are on hand easier in Nice!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,781 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice or Barcelona

I would also opt for Nice. However some people who have tender soles resent the famous pebbles. Sandy beaches with beach clubs are available as suggested nearby at Cannes, and also Juan les Pins. Antibes or Villefranche have great sandy beaches, but they are public and free and lack the kind of cocktail environmnt you envisage.

Ed

Level Contributor
300 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice or Barcelona

Hmmm..We are a francophiles - i.e. we love France and all that goes with it, including Nice, been there many times, most recently this April when it rained.

Our previous experience of Spain was a French town in the Pryenees call Le Perthus which is on the Spanish border, has mostly Spanish shops and gave us a totally wrong view of Spain and the Spanish peolple.

We visited Spain last year and again Barcelona this year - we were wrong - the Spanish people are warm, friendly and welcoming - the city of Torrevieja was very Spanish, not touristy and we loved it, Barcelona was everything that we expected..

Nice on the other hand is different - it has a stoney (pebbles) beach - yes,

it is touristy - yes, it is a busy, busy city - yes, but Nice is also something else, something special, it is perhaps the romantic capital of Europe,

Nice has Eze, Cannes, and Monaco plus others, it has shop assistants who cheerily say bonjour and au-revoir, it has patisseries which stock beautiful creations, bus drivers not trained by the kgb (well perhaps only partially) and it has something else - indistinguishable - a certain je ne sais quoi - you have to go there to experience it.

7. Re: Nice or Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 10:15