We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
planet earth
Level Contributor
320 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

I heard from other boards that Nice is ridiculously expensive, I heard that fpr Heineken regular bottle is 11euros!! Its that possible??? and a can of Pepsi is more like 7 euros. Talk about highway robbery!! Anyone with advise???

Nice, France
Level Contributor
992 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

A pint of Heineken/carlsberg is normally about 5 - 6 euros, small local beer is about 3 euros, glass of wine 2.60 to 3.30 euros, bottles of decent wine from 13 euros,,, house wine in pitchers is good value.

Yes you may pay 11 euros for a bottle of beer in a trendy club in the early hours, but that isn't the normal.

When i want an extra late drink in Nice i head for L'escalier in the rue de terrasse, a pint of kronenbourg is 8 euros, (open til 5am with good music and free admission)the most i've ever paid in over 50 visits in 6 years.

Many bars around the old Town/Flower Market have happy hours from noon - 9pm with drinks at 3.50 euros for a pint.

A bottle of pepsi in a bar/ restaurant is about 3 euros.

Cans of lager/pepsi are about 4 euros on the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Just back from Nice after a lovely week there. Like any city, prices are determined by where you choose to go, to stay, to eat, to drink. It is certainly possible to eat cheaply yet well with 3 course meals going for around 11€ to 13€. In restaurants, the house wine is the best option with a half litre going for 5€. At a bar it will cost about 2.90€ for a white coffee sitting down - an espresso standing at the bar is a lot cheaper. A small beer is about 3€ sitting at the terrace, again cheaper if standing at the bar.

Yes, if you choose to eat at Chantecler in the Negresco plan on spending over 90€ for a meal. I have no experience of the nightclubs so cannot comment on prices there. The cost of public transport on the busses and trains is very reasonable.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Of course you will find expensive spots in Nice but I would say Nice is in the average prices for France. Some local areas will be less expensive than paris but most tourist ares are tourists area, a bit more expensive than what they should be. Shop around for restaurants and you will be surprised at good prices and amazed that people are crazy enough to pay such a high price.

All soft drionks, loke orange juice, are way too expensive n France. Wine is cheaper!

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

and the most delicious ice cream I ever had was from a darling little shop in old town Nice...I think it was called Cafe Gourmandise. Their double chocolate and their rose petal ice creams were outstanding.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Prices for soft and alcoholic drinks in Europe ae often more expensive than in the U.S. You just have to adjust so it doesn't drive you crazy.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Nice is not as expensive as Cannes, nor Cannes as expensive as St Tropez, which is positively cheap compared to the Cafe de Paris Monaco.Yet a cat may look at a king. There's always a cheap alternative. (Homilys while you wait)

But consider if you will this view - that at all these places you are paying for a front-row seat in the theatre of life. You can buy a bottle of beer anywhere. But thats not the same experience as a place at the table of the Riviera.

(Sermon over)

Cheers!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Well said, NiceLife.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Positively Churchillian!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

Thank you so much, please, no photos. no photos. See my agent in the morning.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How expensive is Nice? I hear its ridiculously high...

who needs TV when we have Tripadvisor?