We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nice worth it?

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is Nice worth it?

We had planned on spending some time in late May in Nice or Cannes but now I read that our visit will coinside with the Cannes Film Festival. I am wondering if we should just skip the south of France. We have been to the Italian Rivera already. Are they that different?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Nice worth it?

To quickly answer your question...yes! The festival is from the 15th the 26th of May in Cannes. And although the Cote d'Azur is not that large, the Festival is for the most part, confined to Cannes.

And yes..they are different. The cuisine is certainly different. The "vibe" is different.

I would absolutely embrace the opportunity to visit the Cote d'Azur!

David

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Nice worth it?

Thanks. We just can't decide what to do. We have planned a week in Paris but don't know weather to fly to Nice or drive or bypass the area.

I keep thinking it will be mobbed. Sugestions are welcome.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Nice worth it?

I used to live in Cannes...the festival impacts Cannes....but not really the other communities surrounding it. If you stay in Nce, you will not know the festival is happening. NIce is a large community with lots going on....great restaurants...museums and attractions....pebbly beach. Villefranche is a wonderful small town...thnk Haleiwa on a grander scale with ruins...laid back and wonderful. Antibes is in the middle....great old town ...a terrific daily market...a great town.

Do 4 days in Paris...that will give you a great taste and you will see a lot. My go to hotel in Paris is the Hotel Muguet.

http://www.hotelparismuguet.com/

Spend more time in Provence and the Cote d'Azur.

Get back to us with your thoughts...

David

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Nice worth it?

I have never understood why but much of the Italian Riviera is shabby and run down, while the French version is one of the most prosperous places in the world. It tells you something when you know that many Italians own property on the French side of the border but few French people have gone the other way. The Cannes film festival has zero effect on Nice. I would strongly advise against going to Cannes during the festival unless you are an accredited participant.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Nice worth it?

The French Riviera is unique, but I would say it depends on the exact dates you plan to visit as to how busy it will be.

The Cannes Film Festival timings are given above - it does not affect communities east of Antibes. The second week is always quieter too.

It's certainly not a reason to avoid the whole Riviera for two weeks.

However there are a few days to avoid if you want to dodge the crowds .

The Monaco Grand Prix is scheduled for 26th May, the last weekend of the Film Festival in Cannes .Monaco will be mobbed on the weekend of the Grand Prix and it will be busy from Nice as far as the Italian border.

If this is your only opportunity to visit the Riviera, do not miss it as the crowds can be avoided with a little planning. It is a fun time to be here.

Rail fares from Paris can be good value if purchased in advance even at festival times

Hope this helps

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,125 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Nice worth it?

While actually staying in Cannes during the Festival is not advisable unless you are on an expense account ( even if you can get a room ) I would regard a visit as unmissable - it is the World Olympics of People Watching - you will see some sights here and have many photo opportunities - not many film stars but plenty of wannabees.

Liguria ( Italian Riviera) v French Riviera ?- most families have lived in the same place for generations, cultivating the land , content with what they have. Selling your property, doing anything entrepeneurial is much more bureaucratic than France , if that can be believed - and yes palms have to be greased. Still Italians enjoy La Dolce Vita and if you order a glass of wine you get a full antipasto with it. France - a few well-fingered peanuts if you're lucky.

Ed

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Nice worth it?

The Monaco grand prix also takes place the last weekend in May, so some hotels in Nice are booked up already, as well as the prices being increased.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Nice worth it?

Thanks so much for all the advice. I was just thinking the area would be wall to wall bodies. I guess some days will be. I do want to visit the area. How long should be plan on? I like the idea of Villefranche, I will check that out.

The area will be our last stop so we will probably be in the area beginning 5/23/12 for a few (?) days. The more I read the posts the more I wonder if it will be a mod scene. You can tell I am still vascillating.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,676 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Nice worth it?

It is wall to wall bodies in July and August. Cannes is certainly busy for the Festival, but it is really contained within Cannes. Monaco is busy for the race, but Monaco is tiny, tiny. .7 of a square mile. There are endless other things to do and see and you won't be faced with summer crush of visitors.

If you like the idea of Villefanche, you would likley also enjoy Antibes, Biot, Valbonne and the list goes on...

Depending how active you want to be, 5 to 7 days would give you lots of time to see the highlights of the area without rushing about.

David

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Nice worth it?

There is plenty to do in the area and you will be able to avoid the crowds at the main events without difficulty - but you will find that accommodation is more expensive and harder to obtain outside the immediate areas of Cannes and Monaco too .

Over the Grand Prix weekend, the eastern Riviera towns on the railway line from Nice to the Italian border including Villefranche will be busy accommodating Grand Prix overspill at inflated prices