We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Hello travelers!

I am going to Nice this coming weekend with a group of friends (8 in all) for a city break. We are staying at the Hotel de Suede, which seems decent so far, but we are looking for recommendations for great places to eat and drink.

We're not only terribly restrictive budgets, but we are students, and are hoping to find some reasonable priced places. I had heard of Bar du Coin, but found an unfavourable review online, can anyone offer their own?

It's the low season there, will the prices reflect that or no?

Also - we will be there two nights, three days and have breakfast included in the hotel, how many euros do you think each person should need? We won't be shopping much, or doing many paid activities, we just want to hang out, eat well and have some drinks!

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
995 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Pints of beer 6e, although 3e 9c during Happy Hour at the main Bars,(normally 6pm-8pm), house wines vary from 3-4e per glass.

There are 100's of decent cafe/restos,they have to be fairly good to survive.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
995 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Oh and if you buy Spirits and Mixers beware for eg the Coke can cost nearly as much as the Spirit. Also bottled Premium Beers like Bud etc are expensive.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

I am also visiting this weekend but only for one night. Consequently I have thoroughly researched where to eat and my choices include; La P'tite Cocotte (which is one of the few that open on Sunday) and Le Bisrot Gourmand for that 'special meal' Saturday evening.

The first does a fixed price menu for a really low rate, the second is a 1 star Michelin with a mouth watering menu at a reasonable cost.

Don't be too put off by low rankings or negative reviews as restaurants are VERY subjective. Try to 'read between the lines' and decide which of the negative points do not apply to your personal preference. Also, some poor reviews can be based purely on one small incident that has upset the reviewer who then does not give an overall accurate assesment.

Being a mystery shopper myself, I have learnt that a description such as; "the food was rubbish" is no good to anyone (subjective) whereas "the food was of poor quality/undercooked/greasy" etc is much more helpful (objective).

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Purrfecttune - your thoroughly scientific approach to researching a restaurant in advance may seem valid given the very short time at your disposal . However, the whole fun in eating out in Nice and the south of France is to wander aimlessly around ( e.g the Vieille Ville) studying the blackboards outside, observing diners and enjoying the aromas and then making a choice - preferably after a glass or two of wine. It is not something you do with an app and a GPS. ( ....and I agree with your attitude to reviews).

Laura D - this approach should work for you . And Nice is perfectly full of students who manage to eat well on a budget.

Ed

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

W.B.Loud-Glade - You are absolutely right and your recommendation is generally what I prefer to do (partly because there are so many reviews with so many personal likes/dislikes that I cannot be bothered to study them too much).

However, as you quite rightly pointed out, I arrive Saturday morning and leave Sunday evening, thus restricting my time. I will nevertheless look forward to 'wandering aimlessly around' looking for Saturday lunch (which could be a mistake for Sunday due to so many places being closed).

My research advice was not intended to be specific to the above post, but was aimed at anybody who reads too much into ratings in general.

Thanks for the compliment re my attitude :)

Edited: 16 November 2012, 12:30
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Sunday lunch is an occasion in France when most restaurants are open (unless they are on their annual November holiday) so wandering around looking for an enticing spot for Sunday lunch should give plenty of choice.

Sunday evening closures are more common

Enjoy

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

Have just got back and was amazed at how many places were open all day on Sunday, so no worries about eating before heading to the airport at 7.30pm after all!

My two pre-determined choices (above) were both excellent. The first was the best food and service I have ever had, (but that might be because it was my first ever Michelin restaurant)! The second was extremely tasty, home cooked food for an excellent price, (three courses from a limited menu for 25 euro) an equally good experience but completely different.

8. Re: Looking for food and drink reccomendations!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 14:19