We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car or taking buses

Brooklyn, New York
10 posts
Save Topic
renting a car or taking buses

i have rented an apt on the water and wanted to know if parking is a problem or should i take the bus service for day trips

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,756 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting a car or taking buses

The Cote d'Azur is very compact and is easily navigated with buses and trains. You typically don't need a car.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: renting a car or taking buses

You may find the local train schedule below is most helpful for planning journeys along the Cote d'Azur. They run about every half hour and are cheap. Buses will fill in the gaps where the train does not run e.g. the hill villages of Eze and St Paul de Vence.

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/fiche_04_2…

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting a car or taking buses

Much depends on when you are going and how fit you are. I find a car more of a nuisance than a help in the area around Nice but I don't mind standing on buses that are often driven very aggressively, with hard acceleration and braking. In summer buses on the main tourist routes are very crowded indeed and often have 30 or so standing passengers. If you are not physically fit you may not be happy with that. For most of the year, although it can be irritating to have local drivers trying to force you to go faster, driving and parking are rarely a problem but in high season in some places it can be almost impossible to park. I live part of the time in Villefranche and on sunny weekends police often don't allow cars to turn off the main road. Apartments 'on the water' in Nice usually have six or eight lanes of traffic in front of them and nowhere to park.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: renting a car or taking buses

>>>In summer buses on the main tourist routes are very crowded indeed and often have 30 or so standing passengers.<<<

I don't know if all Ligne d'Azur buses are the same but the notice above the driver on the 200 Nice/Antibes/Cannes bus says ' 54 (!) passengers standing and '52 'seated'. And I have been on it when so full it has passed those poor hopefuls waiting at the Airport Promenade stop having just got off a plane and hoping for a cheap trip to their destination. With luggage. I hope they didn't get that advice on TA!

Ed

Edited: 16 January 2013, 10:42
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting a car or taking buses

What ever were you doing on the 200 bus Ed ?

We all know that it's not the best way to travel to Antibes from Nice....

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting a car or taking buses

WB,

Thanks for that. I imagined that drivers were bending the rules. 54 is rather impressive. On summer mornings in Villefranche it is almost impossible to get on the 100 going east as it is usually stuffed full with tourists going to Monaco. I doubt very much if drivers ever count the number of passengers.

Bob

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: renting a car or taking buses

>>>What ever were you doing on the 200 bus Ed.....it's not the best way to travel to Antibes ... <<<

SOOZ - You are quite right. But as a native of Isla Giatt * I occasionally act against my better judgement.

* It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Ed

8. Re: renting a car or taking buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2014, 06:18