We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice and Provence for 10 days

singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nice and Provence for 10 days

We are planning a sightseeing trip to Nice and Provence area this May. Flying via Paris to Nice, we would like to base in Nice for a few days to see Nice, Eze Cannes before taking a TGV train from Nice to Avignon.

From Avignon TGV station, we will likely rent a car to drive to our base. Could you please advise with 5-6 nights, do we base in two places eg St Remy (to see Rhones,/Nims etx) and then move our base to say Apt/Lourmarin to see other interesting villages and sights. We have not make any bookings for the accomodations in Nice and Provence yet. Likely we will book an apt in Nice and B&B in Provence. We are not used to driving on your side so what are the areas we should avoid driving to when in Provence?

Thereafter, we return the rental car at Avignon TGV station and take train to Paris for our trip home.

Would you please comment on this plan.

Thanks so much.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice and Provence for 10 days

I like your query about areas to avoid when driving! In general May is one of the better months on the roads of the Cote d'azur - July and August see major traffic congestion and parking problems. Specifically avoid Cannes in the last 2 weeks ( Film Festival) and Nice/Monaco the last weekend ( Monaco Grand Prix). Because there is a good regular train service along the coast you will probably find this a more relaxing method of sightseeing in any case.

Again my advice would be to avoid the A8 motorway between Nice and Provence - you will not see anything of interest. Take the coast road which is world class altho slower.

Also if you are nervous it would be wise to avoid the mountain roads of the back country around Nice and the roads of Haute Provence.

Ed

singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice and Provence for 10 days

Thanks Ed. When based in Nice, we will take bus and train only as I learnt it's more efficient to do so. Only at Avignon will we rent a car to see Provence.

Where should we set our base at Provence so that we don't have to drive more than an hour to get to interesting sights ?

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice and Provence for 10 days

St Remy would be a good base, half an hour from Arles or Avignon, 45 to 60 minutes to various bits of the Luberon.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice and Provence for 10 days

It depends on where you wanna go in Provence (it is very big). I went to Lacoste, Bonnieux, the Grand Luberon region (i was there for the lavender season last year in Jul), Avignon, Nimes, Gordes (you definitely have to go here if you are driving but it is very mountainous driving - which as a pretty new driver I managed to do so anyway, so I think you just have to be extra careful), St Remy (time your visits to the morning markets- very very nice), and Arles (if you are into Vincent Van Gogh, the asylum he stayed in is a nice visit but may be difficult to find - had to ask around and got lost a little).

Edited: 20 February 2013, 16:45
Provence
Level Contributor
811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice and Provence for 10 days

St Remy seems to me one of the perfect base as there are so many things to do nearby. here is the link to some idea of what you can do when in St Remy.

Plus st remy offer a comprehensive choice of accommodation/rest/shop etc...

…blogspot.fr/2013/…why-choose-saint-remy.html

Hope that helps you

6. Re: Nice and Provence for 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 06:16