I'm starting to plan our trip for early this summer. Since we are staying 19 nights, we need cheaper lodgings (we like farm stays like Italy Farm Stay and smaller hotels). We like taking the train or bus, rather than driving. Mom (me) loves natural beauty, spas, and exploring small towns. Daughter loves swimming, castles, fairy tales (hence the Black Forest region) and Dad loves good food, drink, and swimming too. Last year in Italy, staying 2-3 nights per area worked well for us. I absolutely loves the Tuscan countryside; thus, I;d like to stay a little longer in Provence. Yes? Please look over my tentative itinerary. I welcome any and all suggestions as to how to travel and what to see along the way. We don't want to miss anything wonderful!
Paris 2 nights
1. see Eiffel Tower
Go by bus or train to Black Forest, Germany, 2 nights
1. Hike to waterfalls or go to spa, buy a cuckoo clock, go on steam train
Train or bus to Annecy, France, or town around that area (between Black Forest and Provence) 1 night
1. Explore a gorgeous town, or Yvoire?
Train or bus down to Provence area 4 nights
1. Day trip to Marseille?
Train or bus to Nice/Monaco area 2 nights (where can we stay for cheaper?)
1. Want to see Monaco and Eze (stay here?)
Ferry to Corsica, France next morning
1. 5 nights calm, beautiful beach for swimming in sea (northeast side?) and see Bonifacio
Ferry to Sardinia, Italy
1. 3 nights on northwest side? (cheaper than Costa Esmeralda and as pretty?)
Fly home (19 nights)