We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August in South of France

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
August in South of France

Dear TA, my husband and I are planning to visit Nice and and perhaps drive to St. Tropez the very last weekend in August 28/29 for a week. Is it still madly busy? Does anyone know if It is going to be a hassle driving from nice to st. Tropez, or getting dinner reservations at that time? Thank you !

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August in South of France

Nice is not madly busy then as many holiday makers have left to go home in time to get stuff organised and the massive list of school supplies bought for ''la rentrée '' [back to school day]

St Tropez seems to get more frantic at that point with people trying to get their party/sunbathe etc before going back to work - Its easy to get to by boat trip from Nice or combination of train to st Raphael then boat to st tropez .

Roads in/out of st tropez can be chaos but apparently some of the chaos can be avoided by taking an alternate route which have not paid attention to because i don't drive

Provence
Level Contributor
802 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August in South of France

It will certainly be busy but a bit quieter since most of the family will be back home to prepare school and the elderly crowd is awaiting for school official reopening.

However you're still likely to find a lot of traffic. As for dinner I wouldnt worry since there is so many restaurants on offer.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August in South of France

Thank you. Do you know how long the boat ride is from Raphael?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August in South of France

The boat ride from st raphael is about an hour - 2013 timetables aren't up yet, but they normally don;t change much from year to year

the boats are organised by the company

http://www.bateauxsaintraphael.com/

Edited: 17 February 2013, 15:29
New York, New York...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August in South of France

Thank you very much for the Info. I hope it won't be too busy :)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August in South of France

Make your hotel reservations for St. Tropez asap. I have never been at the end of August but suspect that hotel rooms may be picked over by now. I think it is always a good idea to make dinner reservations in advance, particularly on a weekend. While in St. Tropez, I recommend that you reserve for dinner at La Verdoyante in Gassin, a short 10 minute drive http://www.la-verdoyante.fr/. It is a wonderful restaurant.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August in South of France

Thank you so much for the dinner recommendation. How many days do you feel is sufficient in st. Tropez and nice. While in Nice, is there a lot of driving to do as well? Is there public transportation? Ty!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August in South of France

There is a great public transport in Nice, either via train or a bus. You could certainly drive to the nearby coastal towns and inland villages, assuming your hotel will have a car park and you do not mind driving in and out of a relatively busy City.

I think you would be good with two nights in St. Tropez for an overall feel of this lovely village. Just get there early enough on that first day, so that you can have the afternoon and the evening. If you want to allocate more time, by all means.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August in South of France

Thank you so much Anna-roz!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: August in South of France

While St Tropez scores highly on the 'been there, got the t shirt' level there are plenty of other places on the coast that are far more worth a visit. As everyone points out public transport is great in the Nice area but if you do have a car use it to explore some of the remoter back country and perched villages behind Nice - all the tourists head for the beach.

If you want to discover the nightmare side of St Tropez just google 'traffic st Tropez'.

Ed

Edited: 18 February 2013, 08:52