We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Barcelona, train? drive? stop on the way?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to Barcelona, train? drive? stop on the way?

I will be traveling from Nice to Barcelona in July with two friends. We will have a rail pass, but I am pretty sure a train ride is about 9 hours. Plus we will need to switch trains a couple times. So we basically waste a whole day traveling, it also rules out getting a full nights sleep on a night train.

Can anyone recommend a good travel itinerary? Is it worth flying? I also really don't want to miss out on all the beautiful scenery from Nice to Barcelona if we take a night train.

My other thought was perhaps we could make a stop half way in a nice little town. Could anyone recommend a nice place to spend the night? I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Barcelona, train? drive? stop on the way?

I hate to tell you this, but it will probably take you closer to 12 hours than 9 to get to Barcelona from Nice by train. In all honesty the scenery for much of the route isn't all that spectacular. The line does not follow the coast for much of the journey. And you are correct that there is no through train at night.

You might consider breaking your journey in Montpellier where you will probably have to change trains anyway. It's a biggish city (about 200K population) and has a lively cafe life, etc. The other option might be the French Catalan city of Perpignan, about 100K population, and a pleasant place.

Most of the through trains will not stop in the smaller places of which there isn't such a great selection anyway west of Marseille until you get almost to the Spanish border.

You could try Iberia or Air France for flights, but one-way tickets are likely to be expensive. There are unfortunately no budget airlines on this route that I know of. You could fly to Paris and then to Barcelona with EasyJet, I think. That would certainly be quicker than the train if there are convenient connection times.

www.easyjet.com

www.airfrance.fr

www.iberia.es

Check train timetables at

www.voyages-sncf.com

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Montpellier
Montpellier
Herault, France
Perpignan
Perpignan
Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
2. Re: Nice to Barcelona, train? drive? stop on the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 01:17