We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

We are traveling in July and I'm not finding any non-stop flights from Boston to anywhere in Southern France. Any recommendations as to the best way to get to Nice or Toulouse from Boston?

Is it better to change at Heathrow? Paris?

If we fly to Paris, is it better to take the TGV or another flight?

Thanks,

Ted

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

I would get to JFK (by air or train) and take the direct flight to Nice from there. IMO, it's better to make a connection on the front end of a trip than when you are jetlagged. Delta has a direct flight that leaves in the evening, but I'm not sure about other airlines. I can book a single ticket from Louisville (you want that in case something goes wrong with your connection to JFK), and if a Boston/Nice search doesn't show a connection through JFK, call Delta and tell them that's what you want to do.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

More...Traveling home, I would also fly through JFK. If you miss a connection to Boston, there are lots of ways for you to get to home. I missed a connection through CDG one year, and it was 31 hours before I was on another flight to the US. Missing connections can happen anywhere, so after this last experience, I try to book them where I think my options are best for a "Plan B."

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

Delta used to have direct flights to Nice during the summer months; don't know if those are still operating.

The alternative is to fly to Paris/Charles de Gaulle and then take an Air France flight to Nice. We've done that a number of times, and it worked just fine. Since you'd already be at the airport, you could also consider taking the train for your onward journey.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,756 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

Delta does have a direct frlight from JFK. That's what I would choose if at all possible. Connecting once in Europe is a pain. I had a huge delay at LHR one time on my way to Nice from the US.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

We also had a huge delay at Heathrow, but that was during the great storm of December 2010.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,756 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

My Heathrow delay had to do the air traffic control computers being down They had done a software update that morning, but it didn't go as planned. Communications were very poor while we waited for our connecting flight.

Lexington...
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

We are now in Nice from Boston. We took Delta to Amsterdam and then connecting with KLM to Nice. Works out very well with a 2-hour layover in Amsterdam.

I would avoid Heathrow and Charles de Gaulle...very confusing.

You can fly Delta from Boston to JFK and then a direct flight to Nice. This is probably fine in summer. We left one week ago so wanted to avoid JFK with all the snowstorms going on.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

We usually fly Air France and try to connect in CDG or Amsterdam.The flights from CDG Nice are fairly regular (good in case of a missed connection.) the problem with NYC is the return flight -you'd need to go through customs at JFK instead of Boston and then make a connection at the end of the trip. Avoid London at all costs-it's always a hassle

jhgrady

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

janeharriet makes a good point about going through customs at JFK on your way back. That is another step on your return trip that may or may not be what you want to do.

If you fly from Nice to another European hub, be careful to book on the same airline or one of its partners. EasyJet offers low priced shuttles from Nice to CDG, but if I had been on one of those when I missed my Delta connection in Paris, I would have been toast. As it was, I flew on Air France and Delta, and my missed connection was handled between the partners.

If you fly through CDG from Nice to the US, allow at least three hours for getting through immigration and security. (I'd actually allow more, but that's only because of my experience at that airport. I get a little "sweaty palms" when I think about it.) Immigration and Security lines are brutal at CDG and they don't care. Nice to any Schengen airport is going to be a domestic flight, and it won't be until you reach the airport where your flight to the US originates that you clear immigration and then for a second time, security for your leaving France and entering the US. You won't do that in Nice if you are flying to another hub. Make sure you are generous in the time you allow for this clearance and be happy if you have time to spare.

…gouv.fr/en/…list-of-schengen-area-member

As an FYI: If you or someone you're traveling with is a frequent flier to international destinations, consider applying for TSA Pre Check (as it now appears to be called). My husband has his clearance because he travels on business more often than I do for vacations. When we travel and make a connection stateside, he breezes through immigration while I wait in the immigration line. By the time I'm through, he's usually collected our bags and rechecked them for our connection. For him to do this, we check all of our bags in his name. There would also be an advantage if your final destination is where you go through customs.

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2

Maine
Level Contributor
682 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to get to Nice (or South France) from Boston

Hi, We are flying Boston/ Amsterdam/Marseille this April- The connection times are good,arrival and departure are also good. This is the first time we have flown into MRS since same price as flying into Nice.