We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food and Drink in Nice

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Food and Drink in Nice

Can anyone advise me if eating and drinking is any more expensive here than the rest of europe. I mean average prices not very fancy expensive places.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food and Drink in Nice

Not really, especially as Nice has such a wide variety of places to eat. It is, of course, a major resort city, but we looked at menus in quite a few places that had moderate prices.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food and Drink in Nice

I've always found the cost of eating to be pretty comparable to Liverpool for average to more expensive restaurants. It's the cost of drinking in Nice that I find expensive, particularly beer. In restaurants, the cheapest alcohol to order is the house wine, by the carafe. It CAN be fairly drinkable! For best value , you really need to stock up with alcohol from the supermarkets, like Monoprix, Carrefour, Ed etc and drink in your hotel room or apartment. Coffee too is dear, the cheapest coffee is the tiny espresso, you have to eek it out. They cost about 1- 1,50 euros. Once you start ordering cappuchinos, the price often racks up, 5-6 euros a cup.

hope this helps, best wishes from Aigburth.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food and Drink in Nice

The bars like Wayne's, Ma Nolans, Bar Thor all have happy hours until about 9pm when Lager is 3.50 euros pint it goes up to 5-6 euros pint after 9pm, but there aren't any entry costs to these places.

Food is very similarly priced to England, but as always you get what you pay for.

UK
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food and Drink in Nice

In Nice like in most of France you can eat well, yet cheaply - fixed priced menus of 11€ to 21€ for a 3 course meal are common. Even cheaper are meals of socca, beignets and other Niçois specialities eaten at Rene Socca or Lou Phil Leva. With regard to drinks, the house wine is the best value at around 5€ for a half litre. At bars, order beers and coffees standing at the bar rather than sitting at a table for cheaper prices. A small beer costs 3.50€ and a café crème about 3€. An espresso is cheaper.

5. Re: Food and Drink in Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 23:15