We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

My wife and I will be arriving at the Nice France airport and renting a car for five weeks. Thrifty Car Rental has the best rate but there have been horror stories about this company in Germany. Has anyone rented a car from Thrifty at the Nice airport? Have there been problems: actual charges have been more than the rate quoted; insurance can't be waived; car requested is not available; etc.?

Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Why don't you rent your car through an American Broker, AutoEurope (google the number and call, its located in Maine US), which will shop the price and car for you and will step in to resolve a dispute in the event it occurs? AutoEurope will also match a price quote. In other words, if Thrifty's price you see is lower then what AutoEurope finds for you, it will match the price. Call tomorrow/Monday morning. Do not just check the web prices. Ask for discounts which may be available. You can also ask away as many questions as you may have. They are open 24/7 but desks are better staffed on weekdays.

Edited: 24 March 2013, 22:32
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Thanks. Good info.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

I've had good experience with AutoEurope. Also check their sister site at http://www.kemwel.com as prices there are often lower. Bring this up with the agent online and they will honour the lower rate.

Since you are planning on renting for 5 weeks be sure to ask AE about leasing. The 3 big French car makers all do leases for foreign visitors... you get to chose the exact make, model and options you want. Insurance is included. No big deal for a 3 day rental but with 5 weeks having a vehicle that actually suits you can make a big difference.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Thanks. I will definitely be going through AutoEurope.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Auto Europe are real crooks. I have made a reservation for a friend via internet, paid all in advance with credit card and when he arrived at Nice Airport he was not able to get the vehicule because the payment was made with a credit card that was not owned by the driver of the car. Hilarious ! Why do they accept the payment when on the reservation form two different names were accepted. Anyhow, I tried to find an arrangement, calling them, mailing them, phoning them, and they just took the money out of my account and never got back with a solution.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Yet again another case of "Read the Contract."

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

And yet again first time poster.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Does anyone know if Thrifty Rent a Car charges a pickup fee at the Cote de Azur airport in Nice ?

Thanks

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Does anyone know if Thrifty Rent a Car charges a pickup fee at the Cote de Azur airport in Nice ?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,305 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thrifty Car Rental at Nice Airport

Get a quote from AutoEurope: it will include all such fees.