We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free parking on the street close to nice france

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
free parking on the street close to nice france

we are renting a car at the airport in nice and staying in an apartment in the old town for 9 days starting next Saturday. I would like to park on the street for free as close as possible to old town.

What neighborhoods or streets do you recommend?

best regards

David

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,304 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

Probably no free parking.

1st there is no parking in the Old Town as it is pedestrian.

I'd suggets the Parking Promenade des Arts close to the MAMAC (Modern Art Museum) or the Cours Saleya Parking (close to the market of the same name)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

About the street parking: your rental car could easily be damaged.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

As the Old Town is pedestrianised and Nice in general is not greatly amenable to driving for sightseeing it may be best to hold off on car hire till you need it for longer trips e.g inland to the hill villages and the back country. In the meantime getting arouind Nice is easy on foot or by tram or bus while trains run commuter style two or three times an hour to places such as Cannes, Antibes and Monaco.

Ed

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

Interesting topic - considering renting a car myself since we will have four people and want to drive into Italy... wondering if I should also avoid the Airport location surcharge by renting in town... this is food for thought.

Anyone else with advice, input or feedback? What about towns surrounding Nice?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

John...it depends on whether you have a special requirement like an automatic transmission. If so, the airport is your best bet.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

datthecoast, the cars inventory is shared between the rental stations at Nice, and as you book in advance they will make the car available at the very station you will pick the car from. It is just vital to book in advance in order to get the automatic gearbox, and if this does not work out, a bit of controlled arrogance you will have it fixed anyhow :-) I am sure you realize the rental companies do not have too many parking lots in their downtown facilities, the logistics exercise must be a headache at peak season...

I second Ed, driving in Nice city area is not perhaps the ideal way to spend a vacation, especially for a first timer: orientation is a bit tricky even with a GPS.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 06:47
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

i am in Nice at the moment and i would not drive around here at all.

the traffic is chaotic leading into and out of Nice

cars parked on the street are squashed into car spaces. i donot know how they get out.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,748 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

Timo...I have rented (and owned ) cars on the Cote d'Azur for 35 years. I appreciate your counsel but I know very well how the system works.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

I too would follow Ed's suggestion of limiting your car rental to the days when you actually need one - to get to those places where public transport is not so easy.

In high season parking is difficult and can be expensive. It's always risky leaving a rental car on the street i and the chances of your car being damaged on the Riviera are high.

Unless you need a car to get you from the airport to your destination, collecting your car at a downtown location is usually preferable to the airport from the price perspective, it avoids long queues which are common at the airport and gives more flexibility with pick up times if you can walk to the office from wherever you are staying

We usually find that a downtown rental location is more likely than the airport to give you the car you booked in advance because if necessary it will be sequestered for pre-delivery to the downtown office, rather than left in the inventory melting pot at the airport

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: free parking on the street close to nice france

Try and plan whereby you don't pick up a car until you are leaving to stay elsewhere if possible. All the car agencies are clustered downtown beside the Meriden hotel (except Avis who are across the park). I can't see any reason to go back out to the airport for a car, especially since you'll get hit with a 40 euro extra charge.

I have driven in Nice and it's no big deal. City traffic is city traffic.