We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in Nice in early June

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Four days in Nice in early June

My wife and I are looking for 4 slow days in southern France in early June (we are leaving from 5 days in Berlin and want a change of pace). Is Nice and that area a good choice, is it possible to spend quality time there or does it require more time? Can we spend three nights in one location or is it best to move around? Any suggestions of where to spend time would be appreciated.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

I think three nights will give you a chance to have decent quick visit to Nice, although I have visited regularly for the last 10 years and still find things to see and do.

I would stay in one location, probably Nice for ease of public transport (buses are €1 per person per journey).

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

The cote d'Azur has a very efficient public trans system, so if you stay in one resort, you can visit the others very easily. Basically, trains connect the resorts, and buses will carry you inland to the mountain villages of St. Paul de Vence (400) and Eze Village (83 from Nice or from another resort, train + bus 82 from the Eze train station.) As you can see, the bus routes are the most direct from Nice. There are also coastal buses (100, Nice>Monte Carlo and 200, Nice>Cannes), but these can be slow and subject to traffic. I only use these routes for shorter jaunts and in the event of strike. The trains run about every 20 minutes and are "walk on," meaning no reservations or necessary pre-planning. Here is a link where you can view the bus schedules:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

Your base? It depends upon what you want because the resorts are so different from each other. I see choosing a base as being about how you want to start and end your day. Nice is an excellent choice because it's central and has a lovely old town. It's the most "city" of the resorts and if you are wanting a soft beach, know that Nice's beach is "pebbles." The sound of the currents flowing over the stones is something you won't want to miss, and the setting is unique and different from what most people think of a "beach," unless it's the "Nice beach!" Cannes, Antibes, Villefranche, and Juan les Pins have sandier beaches. Look at Villefranche for a "village-y" setting and especially, at the Hotels Welcome and Darse where you will have a balcony with a harbor view. Cannes is "glitz and glamor" and a town that is filled with restaurants where you can dine with a view of the water. Transportation hubs are very compact and central if you stay in in the area around La Croisette. Antibes has a lovely old town and adjoining Cap d'Antibes has a nice beach. If a contained resort is your thing, look at Beaulieu sur Mer and the Reserve or Royal Riviera. I haven't spent much time in JLP, so see what others have to say. I think this is a good spot if you enjoy nightlife.

This is meant to be a starter list, and look for others to share their suggestions. All of the resorts are wonderful and you won't go wrong with whichever resort you choose. You will know what's right for you. If you plan on exploring the region via public transportation, the coastal resorts are the easiest bases. If you move inland to say, St. Paul, Eze or Vence, you need to take a bus to access the train system. That's okay, but it's another step and not something I would necessarily choose for daily trips, especially in the time you have. When planning day trips, I usually group destinations as being on one side of Nice or the other, and I do that when I'm based at the far end in Cannes. How the connections fall to together is easiest with Nice as a dividing point.

Have a great trip!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

I'd say stay in Nice for 3 nights and use it as your base. For many people some basic advice is to do Cannes and Antibes which are west of Nice on the same day (1/2 day each) combine Monaco & Eze on another day. I'd leave at least 1 full day day to relax and explore Nice. However, as RiotStar says, you could easily spend the entire 3 days in Nice. If you specify your interests etc people here may be able to give you more specific advice. Whatever you decide to do you have chosen a wonderful area to visit, so enjoy!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

Save the time for Monaco to visit more interesting places, such as St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat and the fishing village of Villefranche-sur-Mer.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

Thank you for the suggestions. We are looking for places to stroll, hike, leisurely meals, local events such as music, etc. We are trying to be very laid back that trip.

St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat and Villefranche-sur-Mer sound very interesting, like what we are looking for. Are they day trips or can you overnight in either location?

Edited: 13 April 2013, 23:47
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,513 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

Villefranche is quite small (7,000 pop.) and is just 5 or 6 kms from NIce. It's a wonderful little place. Stay at the Hotel Darse or the Welcome. Cap Ferrat is terrific as well....again very small.

Easy to do day trips from NIce or you could base in either.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

I would be very happy with four days in ViIllefranche, and I see it best as a base - a place where you begin and end your day - than a place for a day trip - a place for sightseeing. To us, there's nothing better than coffee on our balcony in the morning and in the evening, sharing a bottle of wine in that same spot. The Hotels Welcome and Darse will give you the best vantage points for doing this.

If you like hiking, consider the Nietzsche Path from the From Eze Village to the train station..

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187222-d5…

8. Re: Four days in Nice in early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:18