We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in/near Nice.

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kinghorn, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Walking in/near Nice.

Hi, I will be in Nice from 30th April until 6th May. I would like to do some walking eg from Nice to Villefranche, or other Coastal walks. Would anyone like to join me? Or are there any walking groups already set up in the area?

Thanks,

Carolyn KEANE.

Carolyn.

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

Hi

We have a walking group, but will be in the Esterel Mountains (not close to Nice)! You'll find a large number of French walking groups in the area, and most welcome visitors for a first hike. Let me know if you're interested in a name or two.

Having said this, if the weather is good, you won't be alone hiking the coast around Nice. And you are unlikely to get lost on the coastal path. One of my favorite hikes in the area is the walk around St Jean Cap Ferrat (apprx 13 kms loop from Beaulieu). You'll enjoy a 360° view of the coast as you circle the peninsula. Ideal is to reach Beaulieu sur Mer by train - you can enjoy a visit to Villa Kerylos along the way. One slightly tricky part to this hike is the loop from Plage Passable back to Beaulieu-sur-Mer. You can always ask for directions at the Passable beach.

Also nice is the walk on the coastal path from Cap Martin to Menton (see azuralive.com/2008/05/cap-martin-when.html for details on an inetereting stop along the way). That's just back and forth on the coastal path.

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

I think walking groups are a great idea. For example if you go walk from Villefranche to Nice with someone who has done it before it is much easier. I have yet to do any of these walks.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

Nice online bookllets here on walks - French, I afraid but good plans. You can get an English hard copy in Tourist Offices. Pays Cotier have the coastal walks.

asp.zone-secure.net/v2/index.jsp…

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

If doing the full cap ferrat walk its easier and prettier to finish at Villefranche station rather than crossing back to Beaulieu.

There are other options for walks on Cap ferrat and in the area in general.

How far do you want to walk, Carolyn?

In Nice itself, there are a variety of walks-eg canal de gairault, mont vinaigrier, mont boron/mont alban, cimiez/rimiez,natural parc estiennes des orves, walks to Bellet wine region , walk along the river Var ,walk to observatory hill [and combine with guided tour] walk along the promenade, coastal walk to villefranche etc etc

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

For the more ambitious, I can recommend two of my favourite waymarked "hikes" (some is a bit of a scramble), both starting at La Turbie (116 bus from Nice/Vauban) The first to Fort de Revere via the military strategic route, then back down to Eze Village (bus return to Nice)

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/1a68fb/

The other is downhill all the way from La Turbie to Monaco.

The views across the coast east to Italy andwest to the Estoril are incomparable.

Selkies question is pertinent - how far do you like to walk, and I would add, on the flat, or are you up for scrambling footpaths? I guess we all mean different things by "walk"

Edited: 26 April 2013, 11:52
Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

I like to begin the coastal St Jean Cap Ferrat walk from Beaulieu for the chance at a stop at Villa Kerylos and to approach the hike beginning with a flat stretch at the beach of Beaulieu & port. You're right SelkieNice that ending at Villefranche is a good option for that hike.

Note that some of the coastal walks (Cap Ferrat being one of them) have steps up and down the footpaths. This is more pronounced in the Var than in the Alpes Maritimes, but folks are often surprised that while the sea is flat, the best parts of the coastal path are usually not flat.

The Rando Oxygen guides mentioned above are an excellent online and print resource in french. They include some wonderful hikes like around St Agnès, Gorbio, but also all of the best coastal hikes.

I agree with NiceLife on Fort de la Revère being another great hike.

In general, if you are hiking alone and aren't familiar with the area, I would still recommend you stick to the most popular areas and the coastal walks.

The last time I hiked alone in the backcountry, it was on a warm late autumn day and far enough to not have a soul in the area. I slipped down a rocky path and broke a couple of ribs. Don't be as foolish as me!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

In addition to what has been said before-and especially for folk walking a bit later in the year- check the weather that day wherever you are going especially if you are going to be near water -streams and rivers inland and beside the sea

Inland streams and rivers can and often do go from a trickle in a dry river bed to a ranging torrent within a matter of minutes-eitehr because of rains in the mountains or because of hydro-electric run-off.

You will see yellow warning signs with tidal wave pictograms in areas with hyrdro-electric run off but flash floods due to inland rain are a serious danger for people thinking about swimming or canyonning - so ideally check with local guides, rangers etc

Beside the sea be cautious of coastal paths if the sea is rough or in strong winds . The paths are often blocked off with police tape and notices in this kind of weather-which occurs even when it is beautifully sunny. But pay attention to the conditions anyway- crashing waves look beautiful but they are dangerous and people can be washed away even from official paths and areas close to habitation

Have plenty of water and snacks with you , apporpriate footwear and especially a hat and way of covering bare skin to protect from sun

Beware of fire- either starting one by leaving litter-eg glass or burning cigs or entering areas subject to bans on non-local access due to heightened fire risk [esp in the Var departement]

Edited: 26 April 2013, 15:36
Kinghorn, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

Hi, thanks for your advice. I would be interested in a name or two.

Many thanks.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

NiceLife,

I did the La Turbie to Monaco stretch for the first time on Wednesday and found it surprisingly challenging, probably in part because I was a bit knackered after walking from Eze Sur Mer via Fort Revere after no walking since Christmas. It would be lethal in the wet. In future I will go up from Monaco rather than down as my heart and lungs seem to be in better condition than my knees!

All the best,

Bob

Kinghorn, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking in/near Nice.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Carolyn K.