We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

Travelling with partner in July. We like a more relaxed vacation, and do not have to see everything. We prefer to take time to drink in atmosphere and eat well.So far we have Avignon 3 nights, Luberon 3 nights then- 5 nights left with or without car. Want to see Aix, Marseilles and need to end in Nice as we fly out from there. Partner really wants time in Marseille because it was declared "special city"and then I thought we would take train to Nice and dump car in marseilles. So 2 nights Aix? 1 marseilles 2 Nice? I prefer not to spend one night in a place because of all the packing/unpacking. How do i fit marseilles in without staying overnight, but catching a train to Nice from there? I have hotels in all these places

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

Trust that you recognize that is only 30 kms from Avignon to the Luberon.

Marseille was awarded the European Capital of Culture for 2013....not a "special city." It's all about festivals and special events. Check the calendar for the days that you are going to be there.

Marseille is the second largest city in France with a population of 1.5 million...not a place to go and spend a few hours and not overnight.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

Thanks. No special events while we are there. Are you suggesting we skip it? Spend 2 nights in Aix, 3 in nice?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

Pass on Marseille and Aix and spend more time in Nice and the Cote d'Azur.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

I think you can easily see both Aix and Marseille during the time you are in the Avignon/Luberon region.

I then agree you should consider moving on to the Cote d'Azur.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

Vaucluse, and principally the Plateau of Sault, is the top French producer of lavender. The fields should be in full bloom as the flowers are harvested between 15th July and 15th August. There are various festivals around at that time to celebrate the harvest.

http://www.saultenprovence.com

6. Re: Please help with Provence 11 day itinerary July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:18