We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Florence to Nice

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tangerang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Florence to Nice

I and my family is planning to go to Nice from Florence next month. Initially we plan to take train via Pisa so we can spend half day in Pisa. Unfortunately I've just found out that purchasing train ticket from EuroRail is not easy and in minutes my booking is off.

Can I still buy the tickets when I arrive in Italy - days before the D day? Or is it too late?

As air fare looks unreasonable - pricey and takes long hours flight, is there other possibility? Is it safe using bus?

Thanks a lot!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,603 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Florence to Nice

Forget about buying from EuroRail: it does not run any trains and charges high fees.

There is no bus, and air would be expensive. You need to travel by train.

Florence-Pisa is a journey by local trains, and there is no point in trying to book in advance over the Internet. There are no seat reservations (so tickets cannot sell out) and no discounts. Buy the tickets in Italy.

On the Pisa-Nice journey, you can save money by buying the Pisa-Ventimiglia tickets in advance from www.trenitalia.com

The trains from Ventimiglia to Nice are again local trains and there is no point trying to book in advance.

Tangerang, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Florence to Nice

Thanks for the advise! So, is it safe to buy tickets just a day before the journey? Can we buy ticket from any city like buying ticket from Florence to Pisa in Rome Termini station? Thanks!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Florence to Nice

You can travel to Florence or Pisa from Nice by coach. Its safe and quite cheap but won't suit everyone

http://www.eurolines.fr/en/

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,916 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Florence to Nice

The bus may be safe and cheap, but its arrival times are remarkably inconvenient!

You will have no problem buying train tickets from Pisa to Ventimiglia on the day of travel, and alternatively can buy these tickets in advance at any staffed Italian station or from the larger Self-service ticket machines in italian train stations.

Tickets from Ventimiglia to Nice Ville can be bought at the ticket offices (not from machines) of some major Italian stations, but if you cannot buy these in advance there is no problem buying them from the ticket office at Ventimiglia once you arrive. There are no reserved seats and no advance reductions on Ventimiglia-Nice Ville trains.

Note that most train times from Florence to Pisa and Ventimiglia are not yet online for dates after June 8, but once they are posted online it will be cheaper to buy Pisa-Ventimiglia as far in advance as possible rather than on the day of travel.

5. Re: Travel from Florence to Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 06:17