We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

We're arriving at NCE on a Sat at 2 after a 14 hour trip including a layover in Frankfurt. We need to be in Narbonne by 4:30 Sunday. We're thinking we'll be too tired for a train trip to Narbonne after the overnight flight.

1. Is it more than just one train (ie no transfers):

a) from airport to Narbonne?

b) from Nice to Narbonne (looks like 2 transfers, ie 3 trains)??

2. Should we just go to Nice for the night?

After our barge trip we will be left at Narbonne train station between 10:30 and 11:00 on Sat morning. Our flight is at 6:30 am (!!!!!!!) on Monday. We're thinking going to Nice Sat by train when they drop us off, staying the night and then going from Nice to airport hotel Sun early evening.

3. Is this reasonable or is there a better option?

If there's an easier way of doing this - at either end we'd appreciate a suggestion!

Thank you so much!!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Before anyone can suggest anything we need to know dates.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

"2. Should we just go to Nice for the night?"

The last train to Narbonne leaves Nice at 3.34 pm and you land at 2. You have 1.5 hour to get off the plane, pick up your luggage and taxe a bus or taxi to get to the railway station. IMO, that's cutting it too short. I'd spend the night in Nice.

The first and most convenient train on Sunday morning leaves at 7.27 am and gets to Narbonne at 12.49 pm with one transfer in Marseilles. There is another one at 9.28 am via Avignon which arrives Narbonne at 3.50 pm.

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Arrive Sat June 15

Depart 6:30 am Mon June 24

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Arrive Sat June 15

Depart 6:30 am Mon June 24

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Thank you ! !!!!!!!

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Selkie, For some reason my reply double posted. When I noticed it later I tried to go in and give more specific dates but the edit option was no longer there.

My specifics are:

Arrive NCE Sat June 15 2:00 pm.

Must be outside Narbonne TGV station no later than 4:50 pm Sun June 16. (Previous info said 4:00).

Being left at Narbonne TGV at 10:30 am (but tiny chance this might change to 11;;00) Sat June 22.

Departure flight NCE Mon June 24 at 6:40 am.

Didn't realize train trip would be so long. As a France train novice I heard so much about the "fast trains" that I was thinking well under 3 hrs. That's why we need experts like you helping us!

Edited: 31 May 2013, 11:12
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Your dates of travel are really important when a massive outage is planned. Unfortunately, as i feared , you are travelling during a period of no trains between Nice and cannes and Marseille and Aubagne -plus other disruptions

Luckily, there are now a few spaces on buses that can be booked with a tiny number of long distance train connections. [after sncf saying for months that there would be no replacement buses whatsorever]

You should book this immediately you read this as you have no other realistic options apart from hiring a car and driving.

On sunday 16th leaving Nice ville by coach at 06.07 - be early enough to find your coach

arrive 08h52 at AIX EN PROVENCE TGV

09h37 AIX EN PROVENCE TGV to Marseille st charles arr 09h50

leave at 10h15 from MARSEILLE SAINT CHARLES arriving Narbonne at 12h46

there are still some fares for 56.80 € 2nd class loisirs fares and 64.60 € first class

The return option is not a problem from pov of line work , leaving narbonne at 1409 changing montpellier and arring Nice ville at 20h11

[the 11.27 would be too risky IMO]

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Ouch!!!!! Can I book the entire trip (bus and train) on the same sncf site?

Would driving be easier or are the roads packed (especially because it's Sunday)?

Thank you. You are so helpful and I am so very grateful!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Yes, you can get the entire trip from the sncf site for around the prices i mentioned above

If it is anything like previous similar events [which have not been as extensive in duration and area covered]the roads will be pandemonium because everyone who needs to travel will be travelling by road

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train transport question NCE to Nice to Narbonne to NCE

Would a bus from Nice airport to Marseille on Sat afternoon/early evening be an easier trip? (I'm assuming like other airports there are several buses a day to major cities.) Then taking the direct train from M on Sun? I haven't booked the Nice hotel yet so I have some (limited) options.

I'm not normally this late in planning. This trip was a last minute change from late summer because of work issues.