We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

I bought a sim for my IPad in a well- known mobile phone shop in central Nice, with 1 GB of access. This ran out and I went into another branch to ask if they would top it up. With incredibly bad grace the youth on the desk explained that this was normally done by the customer, either by phone or on the website. He refused to do either for me. I should point out that I did all this in French.

I therefore went to a shop of a different mobile phone brand and bought a new sim. This needed topped up today and again the assistant was incredibly condescending and rude, making it absolutely clear that this was a complete waste of his time. I walked out, and fortunately have just about enough left on my sim until I leave Nice.

Am I wrong, or are all the staff I these places rude, unhelpful, and taught never to smile? I cannot be the only visitor who has needed help in this way. Why sell me a sim and then behave like a total prat when I go back for help?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,704 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

You should contact the service providers in question and tell them how poorly their customers are being treated.

They would want to know.

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

customer service in France? dream on

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

I am reminded of a comment from the Paris forum when someone's friend encountered a rude assistant in a shop..it went something like "lose the attitude honey, you're a shop assistant". I agree with this sentiment. A shop assistant is there to assist the customer. You don't need a qualification from the Sorbonne to be a shop assistant, so they have no basis for adopting a tone like described above.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

I think i can guess the companies involved

i have only experienced mobile phone operators here and the Uk. There seems to be a common denominator of smug young men /boy racer types who think the world revolves around them.

You can however, get sims and top ups etc elsewhere -eg big supermarkets, tabacs, post office and much more helpful staff

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

I am ashamed to say I have thrown the towel in and resorted to unconditional pathetic pleas (crying if really necessary, not a pretty sight) to help me in my hour of need........

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,424 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

<< I have thrown the towel in and resorted to unconditional pathetic pleas >>

Haha!! Yup!! Bite the lip and do what you have to do.. :)

As I recall, young ladies at the mall were pretty pathetic but guys at the Orange store on rue Masena were very-very helpful. Did not need to grovel and plead there.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

Is it not possible to find a youtube video that shows you what you need to do?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

I have helped random strangers top up their phones quite a few times, I'm sure i can't be the only person that gets asked

Belfast
Level Contributor
298 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

SelkieNice, you have described the typical staff member in these places to a T. Glad to hear I'm not the only one to think so. As someone else has suggested, I will send a message to the sim providers and see what comes of it.

10. Re: Are all staff in mobile phone shops in Nice so unhelpful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17