We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach in Nice & Impact of Tour de France, first week in July

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Beach in Nice & Impact of Tour de France, first week in July

I am amusing myself while my husband is at a conference July 1 to 5. We are staying at the mercure hotel near Promenade das Anglais. Housing provided, so no choice there. I'm not much of a sunbather, but I like the idea of at least swimming in the ocean, perhaps daily, weather allowing. Is this just not done at the main beach in Nice?

Also, I am aware that the time trials are on the second. Worth attending? Worth avoiding? Advice?

I've reviewed the ratings on activities. I'm quite active and plan to do lots of walking, seeing architecture, parks, etc. but I'd love to get ideas for quick places nearby for markets, local places to get good food for eating as I go. The proprietors would need to be tolerant of rotten French.

I was not necessarily planning to go further afield than Nice, but I am willing to consider strong opinions.

In terms of "being fairly active", I backpacked from Land's End to The Scottish boarder last summer. I'm not quite that fit this summer, but pretty outdoorsy nevertheless.

Thanks in advance.

Art and Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Segway Mobilboard Nice
Segway Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Liven Up
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Riviera Come True
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Day Trips, Cultural Tours
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach in Nice & Impact of Tour de France, first week in July

Some people swim daily all year round at Nice. The only proviso in summer is to check the flags. Green is safe , red is no swimming whatsoever and orange means dangerous conditions but there is a lifeguard on duty.

Markets - Cours saleya or Liberation [beside liberation tram stop]

Lots of places for food , just wander around and try somewhere interesting

Edited: 08 June 2013, 15:17
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach in Nice & Impact of Tour de France, first week in July

Measured by the number of spectators The Tour de France is the world's most popular sports event. Although I have been following it, one way or another, since 1958, IMO it is not likely to be of much interest to someone with no knowledge of cycle racing, as the main interest lies in knowing the riders and understanding what they go through in three weeks of racing.

If you like walking I would strongly suggest that you at least walk to Villefranche and perhaps beyond to Cap Ferrat. Lovely views all of the way and quite a contrast from rather hectic Nice. Again IMO Villefranche is a much nicer place than Nice for swimming.

3. Re: Beach in Nice & Impact of Tour de France, first week in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:19