We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

hi guys, im going to Nice in a couple of weeks and i want to bring back traditional and unique souvenirs. something small, cheap, and nice. if you guys could help me out with this i would appreciate it. thanks!

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
125 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
402 reviews
from US$133.90*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
453 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,472 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

Maggie....do you see the flaw in this post?

<<<<Traditional, unique...and cheap.>>>

Please define cheap in euros.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

I know you said "cheap," but indulge me for ignoring this in my reply. I've always been intrigued by NiceLife's reply (#3) on this link, and sometimes, one thing that is spectacular is better than several that are not:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4123…

I only know what NiceLife wrote, but it's always intrigued me. The blue chair definitely says "Nice!"

As for "unique," what's commonplace to people who live in a region are not so much when you get home. Let yourself explore the shops, and you will never go wrong with Provence linens, olive wood objects and art posters that you bring home.

I saw that you posted this question on the Paris and Cannes forums, and within the Cote d'Azur and its mountain villages, indulge me again for listing some of my favorite spots for things to bring home:

1) The Galerie Gantois, 105 Rue d'Antibes, in Cannes has a nice collection of art posters that I've brought home for around 10 Euro. Framing is going to up the ante, but I have two of these posters hanging over my shoulder as I write this post in my home office. These may be common in the Cote d'Azur, but they are much appreciated in Louisville, Kentucky.

http://www.galerie-gantois.com/en/index.html

I actually see some of my art posters on the opening page. My basement renovation was kept from being a "man cave" because of these Gantois posters!

2) If you can get to Tourrettes sur Loup, there is a wonderful olive wood shop there. This is a village that sits above St. Paul and Vence, and while it's easy to get to Vence via public transportation, a car or a taxi are usually necessary to get to the village. If you want more info, come back. I do a lot of my Christmas shopping in this store:

http://www.boisdolivier.fr/

If you can't make it to Tourrettes, be happy with what you may find in other souvenir stores you will find in Nice's old town and in Cannes towards the harbor end of La Croisette. There is also a shop just inside the entrance to the village of Eze that is filled with olive wood pieces. Prices are higher here than in Tourrettes, but the shop is full of wonderful things to bring home. If you are looking for take back gifts, the olive wood Provence herb grinder is always appreciated. The grinder kicks up the flavor vs. a shake from a jar.

3) Look for olive oil pouring tins - the ones with the long thin spout that allows a drizzle. I found a wonderful one in Antibes, but unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the shop. If not in Antibes, look for olive oil shops in Nice and Cannes (on Rue Meynadier) where you might find these containers.

4) On Rue Meynadier (47) in Cannes, I especially like "A Vos Delices." It's a tiny shop, but it has wonderful oils, vinegars, spices (especially peppers) and honeys. Of course, these are edible souvenirs and they won't last forever, but I love this shop. The owners are delightful.

5) In St. Paul de Vence, there is a wonderful shop that has pressed flowers on homemade papers that are lovely and can be as inexpensive at five Euros.

6) If you get to Eze Village, there are some tables before you get to the arched entrance to the village that are filled with wonderful herbs that you may not find at home. This is where I load up on grilling spices for my "foody" son in law.

7) Try to go to Antibes on a Thursday or Cannes on a weekend when there are a markets. You will find some small antiques and interesting jewelry. Come back for more info.

8) The Fragonard factory store outside the entrance to Eze (Village) is a wonderful place to shop for fragrances and other specialty items.

Anyway, that's my list, I get your "flaw" (?), and I hope you have a wonderful time in the Cote d'Azur.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

Bonjour, MaggiePena,

Datthecoast is correct. Traditional and unique are usually an artisan's work and will not be cheap.

Some inexpensive items: calendars, cards or plastic place mats showing pictures of Nice. Okay, the latter may be a little corny, but at least they're light for packing and are useful. Perhaps some soaps from Monoprix? Do the souvenirs have to be evident of the place? For example, a scarf or linen kitchen towel may not bear an obvious link to Nice, but the fact that you purchased the item in Nice could still provide a nice memory just because that's where you bought it.

If you're buying a gift for someone else, I would hope that this person would have some gratitude just for your thoughtfulness.

MrsJAS

P.S. I bow down to Troggs. I wish that I had read her recommendations before my trip a few years ago.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 02:31
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

There are a lot of places in the old town with unique shopping items

Various artists do little blue chairs , velo bleu etc in various whimiscal ways , not just ones embedded in acrylic

I would definitely recommmend candied fruits or chocolate from Maison Auer [which is worth visiting just to see the shop . ]

My favourite item as a tiny gift is a single candied clementine in a perspex container

http://www.maison-auer.com/

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

Selkie, what a lovely shop!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

troggs, it is really lovely original decor and their products are delicious too =]

Paris, France
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

If you go a little further east on the coast you can buy lemon soaps, lemon alcool, lemon eau de Cologne in Menton, on the "rue piétonne".

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

Selkie...and it's fruit, so it's healthy! No calories...how do they do that?

Edited: 17 June 2013, 14:24
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

troggs- that is a good excuse =]

Edited: 17 June 2013, 15:00
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traditional &unique souvenirs to bring back from nice?

I'll take it!