We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Nice airport and train station

austin
Level Contributor
291 posts
Save Topic
Questions on Nice airport and train station

We need to go back to Paris to fly home from CDG the next day after our several days' staying in Nice in this August. I am deciding between train and airplane now(we will take train from Paris to Nice first). If you could help on answering the following questions, that would be great on my decision. Thanks in advance!

- how far is Nice airport from nice downtown? Is there an easy public transportation to get to the airport(we dont plan to rent a car)? How far ahead do we need to be at Nice airport for Nice to Paris fly?

-how far is Nice train station from nice downtown? How far ahead do we need to be at train station?

-any website to book nice to paris fly?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

how far is Nice airport from nice downtown? - around 4 miles

Is there an easy public transportation to get to the airport - yes, between around 05:00 am and 23:30 pm the airport express routes 98 and 99 are about every twenty minutes, six euro fare, journey takes around fifteen to twenty minutes.

How far ahead do we need to be at Nice airport for Nice to Paris fly? - recommended time is two hours but one hour should be comfortable

how far is Nice train station from nice downtown? - Nice is quite compact, in the centre no more than fifteen minutes walk from the station all the main parts of the town.

How far ahead do we need to be at train station? Always allow lots of time in advance if you have to buy tickets there - its a frustratingly slow process at the ticket windows. At least 30 minutes.

-any website to book nice to paris fly? EasyJet, the only sensible choice.

http://www.easyjet.com/en

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

Good advice from NiceLife, but for us, Air France has been a better choice than EasyJet. Baggage fees can up the ante on EasyJet, so if you have more than a carry on, compare the total cost between the two airlines. I'm a serial overpacker and have to watch these things, but you may not have to worry about it. Either airline will work, and the choice is going to be about the fares and fees that are offered at the time of your travel. For an August flight, AF's fares may be on the rise, but see what's available.

There is a tram that has a stop close to the Nice Ville train station and runs towards and from the coast, Nice's old town, and in both directions further on. Here is where you can download the tram map and bus info for Nice, and you can also enter the bus numbers that Nicelife shared in the search box along the right margin::

www.lignesdazur.com/presentation/?rub_code=71

As NiceLife said, walks are not especially long in Nice, but from some locations, the tram can shorten your distance. Between the station and the tram stop (Gare Thiers) and depending in which direction you are heading, the walk is up or downhill and it's clearly marked with arrows on the sidewalk telling you where you want to go. This is along a road that is perpendicular to the tram route, and I find the markings very traveler friendly. FYI, the old town stops are Opera and Cathedrale.

Hope this helps!

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

Click on Flights on the green ribbon at the top of this page, then enter NCE and CDG for airports, click on Single and on the date you are flying, etc., and TripAdvisor will give you a large choice of airlines and prices. I go BA when possible.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

Is it possible to get from nice airport (st Augustine ) to Cannes by train and where in Cannes does it stop? Thanks

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

Mary M

Yes it is.

The rail station in Cannes is right in the centre of town

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187221-s301/Cannes…

The Nice Airport website has good information about onward travel and includes link to a map of how to get to Nice St Augustin from the airport terminals

Where in Cannes are you trying to get to ?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

One thing I should add about Nice train station is it is currenly undergo renovation and only platform A has escalator. The other 2/3 platforms only have stairs. I made the mistake of having to haul my large suitcases up and down the stairs in Nice train station. We were taking the train from Nice to Paris.

I was taking the bus no.23 from airport to my hotel and that went okay. Only need to haul the suitcase on and off the bus. If your hotel in the center you can take bus no.98/99

Totally caught me offguard that Nice train station didn't have a lift/escalator.

Trains in Cannes stop at city center. Just walk to beach direction and you will find the tourist office and la croisette.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

The Nice Ville train station has always been something of a let down to the city, be grateful I think they closed the toilets some time ago, they were unspeakable, the queues at ticket desks unacceptable - that's France's state-run railway for you - not the city council's doing.

The better news is the current renovation you saw is due to be completed I believe end of May and at the new interchange transport centre in front of the station I can see a lift being installed this morning.

Things can only get better.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

The ticket office moves quickly now that it has been reorganised with acessible counters and labels giving the languages spoken [though going at peak times is always going to mean a wait anywhere] and there are lots of ticket machines.

I'm not sure which toilets you mean NiceLife, as the toilets at the Nice Ville station are clean and have attendants . The only reason i avoid using them is that i almost always have a backpack with me containing a lot of euros investment in cameras and lenses and i will not just leave that on the floor by the attendant. [the toilet fkloor area is very small and bags and cases have to be left with teh attendant]

The underpass going under the station and connection to the road tunnel , on the otherhand was like a river of pee for many years despite it being pressure washed several time of day . This shoudl be getting completely overhauled at the moment

Full work on the station , with proper lifts and access to all the platforms is likely to have to wait till 2016 for completion . However the eysore blcok at the top of jean medecin is on its way to being demolished at the moment

Edited: 16 April 2014, 17:41
Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,811 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

Whatever means of transport you decide on buy your tickets as fast as possible as the fares will only rise. If you decide on the train the easiest site to use is www.capitainetrain.com which charges the same fare as sncf.

London, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions on Nice airport and train station

The toilets over ten years ago is was our last experience of those particular facilities, when Mrs NiceLife said she would never venture into them again, however desperate. Which she hasn't. Good to know they have smartened things up.

Couple of months back I went for tickets and the "snake" stretched some fifty or more people long, and stretched virtually out of the ticketing hall. Only around three desks were staffed, and one blocked for nearly ten minutes by a couple bickering with each other over their travel plans. It took a quarter of an hour to get served. Possibly it was exceptional. my confidence in SNCF is not great, but may be one day they will run an efficient service. I have noticed more ticket inspection, which seems a step in the right direction.

So 2016 for finish. By then I shall probably be in a wheelchair myself, so perfect timing as far as I'm concerned.