We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting an automatic car

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
228 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Renting an automatic car

We arrived at the Nice airport at noon on Saturday and took the shuttle bus from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 ( or did I get those backward?) to go to the car rental building in the parking garage. It must have been prime time, because the lines for every rental counter stretched to the door and it was chaos- every seat was full and people were sitting all around on the floor. We couldn't even see the rental counters! Spent 1.5 hours on line at Hertz, praying that the automatic car we had reserved would be available. Our agent seemed to struggle a bit to produce an automatic, but she did. They were offering a Mercedes C class ( with GPS) for 20€ a day extra if we wanted to upgrade, because that's what seemed to be most available. We rented a Golf, and wound up in a roomier Peugeot, and were happy. The local map they gave us was ok, but I would suggest getting one beforehand.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
228 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting an automatic car

I should also note that we rented through AutoEurope, handed over our voucher, and that was it. We had chosen to pay for full insurance on the car already, so there was nothing to negotiate and we were finished at the counter I just a few minutes.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting an automatic car

Gemini....your day was standard issue at the Nice airport rental car building.

Did you have a question?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting an automatic car

In summer you can usually save time by picking up in central Nice where I have never encountered a queue.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting an automatic car

Thanks for your report.

Queues are very common at the airport car rental desks during the summer and difficult to avoid if you need a car to get you from the airport to your final destination.

Glad you managed to get your automatic in the end and resisted the attempts to get you to upgrade

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip too

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
228 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting an automatic car

Datthecoast- no question, I was just reporting our experience for others ( like me) who are researching the topic of rental cars, and automatics in particular, and dealing with AutoEurope.

And SOOOZ yes, thanks, we are thoroughly enjoying the area and the weather is spectacular!

6. Re: Renting an automatic car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 06:20