We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Les Amoureux

West Lothian
Level Contributor
142 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Les Amoureux

According to the last review, the restaurant is closed. Can anyone tell me when it is due to reopen?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Les Amoureux

on Facebook https:/…143996702291741

the owner said it's closed but mentioned no reason,

it's stranged and worring (problem of staff, heatly/hygiene control police...)

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Les Amoureux

I suspected they manipulated the reviews here- especially at the beginnjing when they had so many 1 review posters saying the big stodgy based pizzas were the best in Nice

Nice, France
Level Contributor
95 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Les Amoureux

I was one of those reviewers and I would have to disagree. Still not sure why all the negative reactions on the forum. My senior director is Italian and it is his favourite restaurant. Same for various other Italians at work. It is neapolitan so of course it is thicker based, don't go there expecting a Roman pizza.

I now live in Singapore and miss Les Amoureux's pizza like mad.... Oh well.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Les Amoureux

The pizza is soggy because he is lacking a proper wood-fired (=hot) oven.

Strangely most of the reviewers (a lot one review only) are always there with italian friends/colleagues. A good part of eternelles reviews do mention this pizza-place and by some unknown reason eternelle felt the urge to dig out this seven-month old post again.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Les Amoureux

I rarely eat pizza these days due to clogged arteries but pizza lovers may like to read this article from a recent Nice Matin. Of course it just re-quotes the prejudices of Trip Advisor reviews but 2 of the' best pizzas in France ' are apparently to be found in Antibes. I don't do reviews but can confirm the Pomodoro is good.

But what is most interesting is that they claim the modern pizza restaurant (i.e. where you go in and sit down to eat a pizza) was actually a Nice invention - and not Italian - in the Cours Saleya after World War 2.

nicematin.com/antibes/la-cote-dazur-capitale…

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Les Amoureux

And in Vence we have the "Champion de France 2010 de camion pizza" (Ara at the bus stop). Pizza: nothing special.

The pizza of my favoured restaurateur in Vence was once crowned "best in the world" by the Sunday Times and not without a reason. But he is retired now, goes fishing and cares for his garden. Tempi passati...

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Les Amoureux

'Best pizza in the world' is certainly a hard one to match. However I suggest this is in the same class as 'Hemingway's Favourite Bar' of which I have been in several.

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Les Amoureux

Yes, I know what you mean. In fact it was crowned by Michael Winner who was a regular there, too.

But in this case it's a personal story as well. His cooking was one of the reasons I bought a home in Vence. I enjoyed it for 17 years. His and my daughter are friends now. The pizza was different from the Italian, French, US and German pizza style. And yes, I tried pizza at the famous places in Naples as well. He is/was really obsessed with the quality of the food and the service, making it not easy for the staff. As said: the oven makes the difference, he measured 570°C., the perfect firewood cost a fortune. You also got steaks crisp on the outside and red inside. Perfect. The restaurant and the oven is still there. Its his property and he leases it now to french "entrepreneurs" who prefer to serve oysters and foie gras - and getting bankrupt in the progress. Sad story.

I even thought about founding a "consortium" with other regulars (lots) to run the restaurant in style again. :)

Edited: 13 February 2014, 09:43
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,130 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Les Amoureux

>>>I even thought about founding a "consortium" with other regulars <<<

That sounds a good idea, tplus. And of course we know the French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'. Mrs Loud-Glade and I look forward to an invitation to the opening.

Ed

Vence, France
Level Contributor
6,994 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Les Amoureux

You are invited to apply for a job as cook, not shy of working in summer near an almost 600°C hot oven. But you must be commited to quality (and accept low pay)! :)

The original "chef" handled potatoes which stayed 3 hours in that oven with his bare hands. Also sometimes he juggled glowing firewood to the disbelief of the guests.

Start practising now!