We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with train to and from Avignon

Virginia
Level Contributor
261 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with train to and from Avignon

I will be taking (hopefully) the train from nice to Avignon next Saturday to meet a tour at 2 pm (14:00), however when I go to the rail Europe site (that's where I always end up redirected to) it says there is no availability. Do you think he trains are sold out? Or should I try to buy when I arrive next week? Thanks!

Marsatis Tours
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Factory Tours, Day Trips
Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,699 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with train to and from Avignon

The SNCF site shows plenty of trains with available space for next Saturday.

www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/resultat…

If this link doesn't work, type www.sncf.com, or maybe, Google "SNCF" and then click on the result?

Stay away from Rail Europe, they are not the actual train website, but just a go-between.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with train to and from Avignon

Did you make an attempt to research this question using the search feature? There are a good many posts containing the detail required for booking tickets on line and no, the Nice to Avignon trains for the 6th of July are not sold out. A forum search will give you to process required to book tickets.

Briefly, each time you search for tickets (and I can only guess that you are using www.voyages-sncf.com) you are probably indicating that you live in the USA which will immediately redirect you to raileurope.com. Choose another country, Afghanistan, Antarctica, or Other Countries (EUR) and you will be able to continue in English and pickup your tickets at any train station or print them at home.

Mentioned in this post
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with train to and from Avignon

There are plenty of trains next Saturday None are sold out that I can see. But you're going to pay top dollar for seats, having waited so long to book.The cheap tickets were available 2+ months ago. Follow Sarastro's advice and stay OFF the Rail Europe site, which charges premium prices and doesn't show all the trains.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with train to and from Avignon

Do you intend to come back to Nice the same day?

A

Edited: 30 June 2013, 20:08
Virginia
Level Contributor
261 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with train to and from Avignon

Thank you all. That was the trouble I guess, I saw that I should use the SNCF site from the posts but kept putting in US and it automatically redirected me to the Rail Europe site. I tried again and put in Ireland and it worked fine and showed me the trains.

Yes, unfortunately I couldn't commit to the date until now so I am stuck with the higher fares. I may never be in this area again and I love the idea of seeing some of the gorgeous landscape in Luberon and Sault so I tell myself it is worth the expense. Too bad there weren't any tours that start in Nice, I would have gladly handed over the nearly 160 euros the tour and train will cost just go directly from my hotel in Nice.

And yes SelkieNice I'm going in the morning, the tour is at 14:00 and then planning on taking an evening train back.

Thanks for all the help!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
6. Re: Need help with train to and from Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:18