We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time for weather

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best time for weather

So I've been to Nice for the last 3 years. The last time I went was mid-May and it rained for most the time we were there. I'm thinking of going next year after a year off, but want to try and guarantee myself good dry hot weather. I know you can't really predict it exactly but I wondered what people thought about going in June rather than May? Is it more likely to be decent weather in June than in May?

Also I usually use yourniceapartment.com and will probably do same this time around - but if anyone has any other options just so I can shop around that'd be great. Cheers.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$104.40*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.50*
US$109.40
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.50*
US$109.40
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
403 reviews
from US$133.30*
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,627 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time for weather

June 2011 was great: sunny and warm, just lovely. This June was cool and overcast. Not great. As far as I am concerned, weather is as predictable as the stock market. But, all things being equal, June is probably better in terms of odds then May. Maybe .. :)

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
297 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time for weather

Haha maybe... I guess in terms of the odds June is a better bet. I'll go with that!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,929 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time for weather

Those 10,000 foot high Alps in Nice's backyard can make the usually benign Mediterranean climate unpredictable. We often look across the Bay of Angels from sunny Antibes and wonder what's happening behind those black clouds over Nice.....

But seriously I have found May to be the most unpredictable month of all,even November. By contrast the period January - March is usually calm and settled. But the flowers are lovely and grass long and green -all soon gone.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time for weather

Ed

<<We often look across the Bay of Angels from sunny Antibes and wonder what's happening behind those black clouds over Nice.....>>

Maybe it's my imagination,however the weather seems to improve as we travel west from Nice Airport and it always seems to rain if we go to Nice for the day too -- ;-)

Of course it's completely down to chance.

But I agree that June has better odds of settled weather than May ... even in Nice

Enjoy!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time for weather

Living in Nice fr 7 years with brilliant views for weather watching from our windows,

I would say that i more often see dark clouds to the west towards Antibes and Cannes and that for years before that when i used to travel from Antibes to nice on a daily basis ,weather was often better in Nice.

It will be strange to get a whole new set of weather watching data from a different part of Nice .

Over the past 17 years of living in the south of France i can say that my sons birthday 3rd week of January is generally sunny, he would have preferred rain

Edited: 20 July 2013, 12:30
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,285 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time for weather

June is my favourite month, hot but not too humid with, in a typical year, an average of 14 hours of sun a day. You can get surprising differences along the coast. One day this year I left sun and blue skies in Villefranche to go to a cloudy, drizzly Menton but there will be other days when conditions will be just the opposite. These things average out in the course of the year. The Mediterranean climate is usually described as having hot, dry summers and warm, wet winters. The average November, for example, gets more than 10 times the rainfall of July but still gets a daily average of 9 hours of sun.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,929 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time for weather

I've certainly seen the Salis beach in Antibes packed on the November 1st holiday.

Edf

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time for weather

It is often great beach weather on 1st November but some years it does rain. Usually the days around are really good if the 1st itself is rubbish.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,438 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time for weather

The above posters seem to live there so know better.

I've always gone in July and August and had almost no rain. Hot and sunny generally (which I like for the beach and boating)

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time for weather

June 2013 was lovely, weather hot enough to get a tan,