We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

home base for car travel

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
home base for car travel

Husband and I will be there Aug 18 -21. We want to travel around, not go to beach. We want upscale place outside of congestion. any ideas?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: home base for car travel

By "upscale place," do you mean accommodations? If so, what is your price range, and what amenities do you want?

Be aware that August in the region in and around Nice is very high season, and visitors will be just about everywhere.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 05:22
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,902 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: home base for car travel

The Cote d'Azur is jammed in August. A car is a nuisance in August...not an advantage. Traffic is crazy and parking is impossible. Sounds you might want something off the coast, like Valbonne, Biot, maybe Mougins....

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: home base for car travel

The strip of coast between Nice and Cannes is frantically busy in August with traffic jams second only to those created by people hoping, one day, to enter St Tropez. East of Nice is not so bad but it can still be impossible to park at times. The crowd sticks pretty much exclusively to the coast and you only need to head inland for a few miles to find peace and tranquillity, with the exception of a few honey pots such as Eze Village and St Paul de Vence. If I had to drive along the coast in August I would use the autoroute for the bulk of each trip, leaving it as close as possible to each resort. If you are looking for a classy hotel you won't find it far from the coast. Four worth a look are the Royal Riviera in Beaulieu, Grand Hotel du Cap Ferrat and the Chevre D'Or and Cap Estel in Eze. Public transport in August is something of an acquired taste. We got the train recently for a 15 min trip to the airport. It was 20 minutes late and, as is their wont, the locals had blocked the doors so we had to fight our way on board where the temperature was at least 100F. One man passed out before we arrived at Nice and the train was further delayed while he was disposed of. A family from Hong Kong, where trains can be crowded, said it was the worst journey they had ever experienced, made worse when I told them they were travelling in the wrong direction.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,344 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: home base for car travel

For an upscale hotel just a bid away from the coast, I recommend the Hôtel de Mougins. Lovely place with pool, a good restaurant, and quiet.

If you want something really top-of-the-line away from the coast, head to La Bastide Saint-Antoine, an exceptional property with a Michelin-starred chef. The hotel is near Grasse.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,484 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: home base for car travel

Then there is Le Mas Candille in Mougins. About 10km up above Cannes with easy access to the A8.

http://www.lemascandille.com/uk/index.php

6. Re: home base for car travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 06:22